Biotest

Adding Calories/Shakes (Could This Work?)

Now I’ll start by noting that I realize I’ll get reamed by the Velocity Diet purists. Predictably, they’ll tell me that the diet need not be tweaked with, and the best results come from following the diet the way it was originally made.

Fantastic. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks guys.

I have all the respect in the world for Chris Shugart, and I think he and Waterbury (whose programs I’ve used before, with good results) made an excellent program here. The thing is that while I’m looking to burn some fat (primarily in the love handle region, which is stubborn as all hell), I’m also looking to pack on some muscle.

I’m going to Hawaii in about 4 weeks, so the plan is to look as good as possible for when I get there (been overseas teaching for a year, so it’ll be the first time I see family since last summer).

So this is my plan (or, I should say, my thought–if enough people tell me I’m an idiot, I won’t likely do it). Since the limited calories allow for limited workouts and NEPA/cardio, I thought maybe I would take an additional shake (or even two–I already have all the protein I need to do this) to increase my calorie intake, and then do a more intense workout.

Not necessarily more intense in terms of how much it makes me sweat (those 30 second rest periods definitely kick your ass), but just a slightly more balanced program where there’s more focus on getting bigger.

I know that the purpose of the Velocity Diet isn’t to make you huge, and if you’re looking to get huge, this isn’t the program for you. So maybe this isn’t the Velocity Diet anymore–whatever, call it the Torque Diet. But I’m curious as to whether something like this would work.

I find it hard to believe that one or two additional shakes is going to make you fat, and shouldn’t that increase the amount of energy you have to burn while working out?

Anyways, it’s just a thought. Feel free to tell me why I’m an idiot–clearly, I posted this because I was interested in hearing what others thought about this.

sigh

Oh, Makavali. I’m sorry we can’t all be as brilliant and well informed as you.

For future posters, please only respond if you have something to say. I’d prefer this wasn’t used to solely increase your post count.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
sigh[/quote]

LOL.

[quote].josh. wrote:
please only respond if you have something to say. I’d prefer this wasn’t used to solely increase your post count.[/quote]

Ok, how about this: if you want to tweak it, go post in the Supplements and Nutrition section.

Changes = Not Velocity Diet.

If the workouts are done properly, they will be the some of the toughest workouts you’ve ever completed. They may “look” easy but after your on the diet, you’ll understand how truly hard/balanced they are.

Your not going to build a significant amount of muscle on any diet, making a more “balanced” workout isnt going to help. You have to set your eyes on one goal, don’t chase both. Fat loss or muscle gain, those are the two roads.

[quote]Higgins wrote:
If the workouts are done properly, they will be the some of the toughest workouts you’ve ever completed. They may “look” easy but after your on the diet, you’ll understand how truly hard/balanced they are.

Your not going to build a significant amount of muscle on any diet, making a more “balanced” workout isnt going to help. You have to set your eyes on one goal, don’t chase both. Fat loss or muscle gain, those are the two roads.[/quote]

The ‘Two Rabbits’ blog entry comes to mind here.

Josh, I was reading this hoping to find a reason why you’re thinking of tweaking the diet, but can’t find one.

Why don’t you just do the diet as is written? What is the reason for you wanting to make your changes?

Ignore the purists like Makavali. It is tiresome to get through thick plates like that. Minor changes don’t matter.

But he is correct about the Two Rabbits. Either focus on losing weight or gaining muscle mass. The V-diet doesn’t give you enough carbs and energy to keep going with intense training like you’d normally do to gain muscle mass. Even if it did the V-Diet doesn’t give you enough nutrients to feed the body to gain muscle mass.

You’d need to make too much changes to this diet. And thus you’d be better of posting in Nutrition boards.

So take your pick.

[quote]Falstyr wrote:
Ignore the purists like Makavali. It is tiresome to get through thick plates like that. Minor changes don’t matter.[/quote]

Wrong.

Minor well-informed changes don’t matter. If you want to make big changes, go post in Supplements & Nutrition.

Fair enough. Makes sense. I appreciate the responses (excluding Makavali’s), and I’ll continue to go by the book with the diet.

Really, I just wanted to see what others thought of the idea. I wasn’t saying that the current workouts were easy by any means, they absolutely kick my ass. I was just curious as to whether a couple extra shakes a day and a workout focused more on putting on muscle would work, since you’re clearly going to be burning away fat regardless. The “two rabbits” theory makes sense, however, so I’ll continue with the V-Diet as it’s laid out.

Anyways, thanks again for the responses.