Biotest

Acorn Squash - Yes, Please

Not sure if any of your have tried Acorn Squash; I just discovered it. Only one word can describe it: Wow!!!

For myself to consider something good it needs to meet two criteria: Healthy (read: low caloric density) and easy to prepare - this bad boy covers both.

I just cut it in half, scoop the seeds of of the middle and throw it in the microwave, cut side down on a plate for about 4 - 5 minutes on high. Let it cool a little, dig out all of the goodness and mix with a little butter and salt and viola! Very tasty, very filling.

Give it a try!

Haven’t tried acorn yet. Still addicted to butternut and spaghetti squash.

Just picked up some frozen, pre-cut butternut squash yesterday. Should make it even more convenient.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Haven’t tried acorn yet. Still addicted to butternut and spaghetti squash.

Just picked up some frozen, pre-cut butternut squash yesterday. Should make it even more convenient. [/quote]

If you use the frozen, I think you have to roast it - maybe tossed with a little oil. I tried to make my butternut squash hash with it and found out that frozen just won’t work for that. It turns to mush.

You could probably make the butternut squash hash with acorn squash just as easily - just fry and crumble bacon, toss squash cubes and chopped onion in ground cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chili powder and olive oil, and saute in the bacon drippings. Then toss with crumble bacon. It’s good for you. Because it has bacon in it.

Mmmmmm, acorn squash is now on the shopping list.

Ever tried a “twice-baked potato”? I bet there’s a way you can do with acorn squash.

Here’s my idea for a protein-packed acorn squash experiment:

Slice the squash in half, remove the seeds and cook it till softened.
Then remove the hot, squashy-goodness, and mix it with cooked ground turkey, sauteed mushrooms, roasted peppers, chopped walnuts and about a fourth cup of cream cheese.
Add paprika, salt, pepper and any spice that sounds fun.
Then put the mixture back in the acorn squash shells.
Sprinkle the tops with your favorite cheese.
Bake a second time for 10 to 15 minutes, or just until the ingredients to melt together.

Okay, that could be gross… but it sounded like a good idea in my head.

[quote]Danielle Shugart wrote:

Ever tried a “twice-baked potato”? I bet there’s a way you can do with acorn squash.

Then remove the hot, squashy-goodness, and mix it with cooked ground turkey, sauteed mushrooms, roasted peppers, chopped walnuts and about a fourth cup of cream cheese.
Bake a second time for 10 to 15 minutes, or just until the ingredients to melt together.

Okay, that could be gross… but it sounded like a good idea in my head.[/quote]

Damn, that does sound good. I like the idea of adding walnuts to give it a crunch. I will have to try that, as that would be relatively easy and would kick the protein up a notch.

One other thing: these bad boys are a bitch to cut in half. I will usually start with my knife right in the middle of the veggie, and pound on top of it a few times, then turn, repeat, turn, repeat.

After all, it would be a real pain to try and dig out all that goodness using only one hand.

[quote]markdp wrote:
One other thing: these bad boys are a bitch to cut in half. I will usually start with my knife right in the middle of the veggie, and pound on top of it a few times, then turn, repeat, turn, repeat.

After all, it would be a real pain to try and dig out all that goodness using only one hand.[/quote]

A spaghetti squash can be a workout too when you first split it. I’ve seen recipes that call for boiling the whole thing first, to soften it I presume. i just take out the 8 inch Shun, put the squash on a cutting board in the middle of the kitchen floor, and get ugly with it!

I have cooked acorn squash in my fridge right now. I used pecans, a little brown sugar/splenda mix, nutmeg, and butter… good but not as good as butternut squash.

[quote]Danielle Shugart wrote:

Okay, that could be gross… but it sounded like a good idea in my head.[/quote]

I have made something similar…specifically, this recipe: http://thisprimallife.com/2010/10/primal-sausage-stuffed-squash/ (not my blog, I just liked the recipe). I think I used turkey sausage.

That recipe looks great Florida.

Floridagirl,

I just realized that you’re the author from my favorite food blog!!! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for your great work on: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/

I’m a huge fan and have loved everything I’ve tried.
Thanks a lot.

[quote]shockwave843 wrote:
Floridagirl,

I just realized that you’re the author from my favorite food blog!!! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for your great work on: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com/

I’m a huge fan and have loved everything I’ve tried.
Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

Ditto. The biscuits and gravy have been a 3 times per week thing with me for the last month.

Wow, thanks guys, so glad you are enjoying the recipes! :slight_smile: