Biotest

Acceptable V-Diet Training

I’ve seen the Waterbury training plan that is suggested to acompany the V-Diet in Gus’s Physique Clinic thread, but was wondering if there are any other ACCEPTABLE 3 Day/Week plans that would also work well.

I am no stranger to CW’s workouts, but was just wondering if anything else compares. Hopefull Shugs can chime in here since this is his creation.

I’ve just recently upped my volume a bit in my workouts, and have seen some long overdue changes as of late. I do understand that dieting like this requires lower volume type stuff, but was just looking for some other “acceptable options”.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I’ve overlooked this in the other V-diet threads!

-ExPro

Bump

When I did SwoleCat’s SGX leaning program, he used a 4 day/week scheme with a lot of 12-15 rep sequences using a slow negative variation. It worked wonders for me.

Bump

Thanks for the reply, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

If memory serves me well the V-Diet is a low carb liquid diet where you consume a below maintenance calorie intake. I’ll assume that you’re following this diet to lose fat and not gain muscle (as it would be pointless).

Before I give you my opinion on what you asked I want to state that I don’t like this diet as it promotes quick fixes without teaching good long term nutritional habits.

Unfortunately in our culture this “sells”. I can’t tell you the number of ‘fat people’ I see get excited at the thought of participating in a 12-week boot camp style fat loss program where they’d be run into the ground on a spartan diet and exercise program; yet turn their noses up at training consistently a handful of times per week and making healthy diet choices. Oh well.

If you do insist on doing this diet I’d recommend you:

1. Reduce training volume and frequency; and up the training intensity (load). In other words drop in both reps, sets, and number of time you lift per week. Any ‘classic’ 3-4 day a week power lifting program should fit in nicely.

2. Opt for slow and steady cardio over HIIT.

Both of these recommendation are to help you preserve muscle which will be at a greater risk because of the lack of calories and , protein sparing, carbs.

Would the standard West Side templete be to intesnse for the V-Diet?

I bealive it would make a great routine for cutting, as far as gaining strength and retaining musle goes. However having two ME days while taking in such a low calorie intake might be overtraining.

In Chris’ first article on the V-Diet, he outlined his 3 day workout that involved 2 exercises at 10x3 with some supplementary exercises, then “beach work”.

Look up the original article and you’ll find the template (search: the Velocity Diet)

Here is a brief of what I do:

3 x a week.

Work out A

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Triceps
Legs (Squats)
Calves

Work out B

Chest
Back
Shoulders
Biceps
Quadriceps (leg extensions)
Legs (deadlifts)

Week one: A B A Week two: B A B

I do one set to failure 8 reps with rest / pause style a la Doggcrapp.

All compound exercises.

I do one set of maximum on the ab wheel 3 times a week on days I do not work out. God damn that is THE exercise for abs.

Works for me.

My vote would be for CW’s TBT. In my opinion a total body workout is going to work best when cutting calories.

-J

[quote]Sewerhooker wrote:

Before I give you my opinion on what you asked I want to state that I don’t like this diet as it promotes quick fixes without teaching good long term nutritional habits. [/quote]

Actually, it squashes bad dietary habits and instills tastes for healthier foods. People already know what to eat and what not to eat, just like the alcoholic knows now to drink… but does anyway.

In that sense, the V-Diet is like rehab. You come out not only leaner, but with positive longterm nutritional changes set in place. (The solid weekly “re-training” meal is part of what does this.)

As for training programs, I’ve posted all the Waterbury workouts in this thread for convenience:

http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2125931

what if you already eat 99% clean and have been for 1.5 years, but just need to drop 5-10 lbs? is this diet good for that? i find that even on <30g carbs per day of solid food i have strong cravings for steamed broccoli and salad, but not really for junk food.

[quote]DF85 wrote:
Would the standard West Side templete be to intesnse for the V-Diet?

I bealive it would make a great routine for cutting, as far as gaining strength and retaining musle goes. However having two ME days while taking in such a low calorie intake might be overtraining.[/quote]

If you look at Chad’s routines, they’re all about heavy weight for low reps, except for perhaps Friday which has you doing 8 reps. So, a WSB template could work if you approach it intelligently. Don’t do ME to failure, and opt for a relatively easy ME day as opposed to going for a “true” max. Go easy on the assistance work and keep the volume low.

As for the original question, Pavel’s template from his “Enter the Kettlebell” book is not a bad way to go.

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
what if you already eat 99% clean and have been for 1.5 years, but just need to drop 5-10 lbs? is this diet good for that? [/quote]

The taste/craving/food-related behavior changes are the coolest part of the diet, and what lead to long-term success. But if you have no problem choosing healthy foods, you can still use the diet to drop some fat quickly. This is actually what I designed the diet for; the taste changes were just a happy side effect.

On average, the V-Diet “burns” fat at three times the rate of a normal diet, if followed correctly.

I went with Waterbury’s workout as prescribed for Novagreg in the PC. I originally thought that it wasn’t going to be enough of a workout. Man, was I wrong. They are TOUGH! I don’t think I could have used another workout for this diet. Chad hit it right on the head here with these particular workouts for this diet.

Day 17 and I’m down 13lbs so far. Fat is melting off and muscle appears to be spared!

This diet DEFINATELY teaches good habits and discipline. I thought of myself as having both prior to this diet, but again, the V-Diet definately gets one back on track and in line.

Very happy with the results so far, and I will post pics when done!

I used a HST program last v-diet & was exceptionally please with the results.

HST is a 6 week program, i did the first 2 week phase on a CKD diet & the next 2, 2 week phases on the V-diet.