Biotest

A1oldham's V-Diet Journal

Hello!

I am starting the V-diet. I have been struggling with food cravings for a while. My decision to do the V-Diet is about proving to myself that I am able to follow a plan and stick it out. I’m also very encouraged by some of the “typical” results that I’ve seen from other people’s posts as well as Dan John’s articles. I also like what I’ve heard about people losing the craving for junk food.

I started the diet on Tuesday (my Day 1) because I was out of town and also didn’t get all of my supplements until late Monday afternoon.

Here are some of my current stats:

Weight: 244
Waist: 44 inches
BF: 29%

I took these this morning before I ran out the door to the gym. I will capture all of my stats this Sunday as well as some pictures.

WORKOUT:

First day’s workout was pretty good. I tried to go pretty heavy and really max out at the 4-5 rep range.

Front Squat: 185 (moderate to difficult) - 4 sets x 5 reps
Assisted chin-up: 66 lbs assist (very difficult but I finished) - 4 sets x 5 reps
DB bench press: 65 lbs (difficult) - 4 sets x 5 reps
Ab wheel rollout: 4 x 5 (My abs are still sore)

Nutrition: I followed the diet to a T. I’m not taking any leucine as it didn’t ship with my order. Based on my stats above, would anyone reccommend I take the leucine to maintain muscle mass or should I just be concerned with losing fat and not worry if I lose a little muscle along the way? I am taking the optional fiber supplement.

Feelings: A lot of gassy feelings going on in my stomach periodically throughout the day. I was okay with not “eating” until I got home and then started to feel a little light headed and was missing food. But I didn’t give in. One day down, 27 days to go!

Any feedback positive or constructive would be greatly appreciated!

-Aryn

i took the leucine at first but gave it up in the first week, and will save it for when i get back into a strength-building program. i couldn’t really justify it as a) my lbm isn’t high to start with and b) i wasn’t expecting to be gaining any muscle mass at all on the v-diet. chris has made a few comments about it being added ‘insurance’ for those more lean and/or muscular. the choice is your own, but i wouldn’t stress it too much, as there’s a heap of leucine in the MD shakes as is (20grams+ a day is my rough mental calculation)

anyway, all the best with your diet aryn! the lightheadedness will come, but you’ll still be standing when it goes

[quote]triskele wrote:
i took the leucine at first but gave it up in the first week, and will save it for when i get back into a strength-building program. i couldn’t really justify it as a) my lbm isn’t high to start with and b) i wasn’t expecting to be gaining any muscle mass at all on the v-diet. chris has made a few comments about it being added ‘insurance’ for those more lean and/or muscular. the choice is your own, but i wouldn’t stress it too much, as there’s a heap of leucine in the MD shakes as is (20grams+ a day is my rough mental calculation)

anyway, all the best with your diet aryn! the lightheadedness will come, but you’ll still be standing when it goes[/quote]

thanks, triskele!

a1,
I drink a bunch of carbonated water when my stomach was upset,etc in the beginning.
Stick with it, those issues go away…

Thanks for the suggestion Hooner. I will try that.

It is day 5. I figured I should post some updates - I’m pretty bad about finding time to log in everyday with my schedule.

I’ve settled into a routine with my workouts and NEPA. I workout first thing in the morning, approximately 1 hour after finishing my first shake of the day. The workouts are TOUGH. I don’t know if it’s because I’m only taking in so many calories or because I’m not used to doing 8-9 RM for 40 reps, but I feel like I’m about to throw up and I’m huffing and puffing with 45 second rest. I have rested up to 1 minute + during some sets or between exercises. Day 3 workout was tough - I hate abs! :slight_smile: My NEPA has been 50 minutes of walking on a trail near my office (about 3 miles) at lunch on workout days or 60 minutes of fasted walking on the treadmill first thing in the morning (3.0 incline, 3.8 mph average pace).

The workouts are hard, but the shakes have been even harder. I haven’t veered off course with the diet, so I’m pretty proud of myself. I feel like the time between 2 - 6 PM is the hardest in terms of feeling very hungry and just “not quite right”. I came home yesterday and my fiance had made a BBQ chicken wrap. It smelled so freaking good. I had just taken my dog for a 45 minute walk (I had an all day training and we were only given 15 minutes to grab some of the sandwiches that they had brought in for us to eat - bastards! I obviously didn’t have any of the food that my co-workers were grazing on all day). I had to wait a few minutes before I could stomach drinking my shake. The protein powder is starting to smell like medicine when I’m making my shakes but luckily they don’t taste as bad as it smells. It’s hard to choke them down - takes me 20 - 30 minutes. But once I got the shake in me I started to feel better.

I’m feeling pretty good and optimistic this morning. Tomorrow is my official measurement day, but I weighed myself this morning and I’m down to 235.5 lbs! Starting weight was 244.

Good luck to everybody else who is currently on the V-diet. I look forward to reading some of your posts in the forum.

Cheers!
Aryn

aryn, that’s great progress for less than a week. it took me a fortnight to lose that much weight!

i agree with/ can relate to your observations:
-afternoons are the hardest for hunger
-everything smells incredible
-getting used to tiny rest periods and larger working sets takes a lot of getting used to. only in the 4th week did i start to feel my arms get more challenged than my lungs

you’re doing a great job, and fasted nepa when possible makes all the difference over unfasted. it also takes me from waking up half dead to ready to take on the day, but without being burnt out at all. i can see it becoming a lasting routine

keep it up,
steve

a1,
after the 1st week or so, I started making shakes with less water and ice, so they were thinner and less volume. Now I just use 2-3 ice cubes, about 12 oz water in a little mini blender ($15). Plus I bring shakes to work in a little cooler. And like Triskele says, late afternoons for me are the most light-headed, low energy. Sometimes I snack on a couple extra fiber tabs…I have these gummy ones that are like candy. I also make coffee (black).
Over 8 lbs lost in Week 1 is awesome. Keep it up.

Entering in my stats as of Day 6:

Weight: 234 Starting weight 244
Body Fat: 25% (handheld BF monitor)
Neck: 16 in
Shoulders: 52.5
Chest: 43.75
Waist: 43.5 Navel: 42.5
Hips 43.75 (my measurements made me feel like fucking Sponge Bob “Square” Pants)
Biceps: L - 13.75 R - 14.5
Thigh: L - 25.5 R - 26.5
Calf: L - 15.5 R - 15.5
Ankle: L - 9.5 R - 9.75

[quote]hooner wrote:
a1,
after the 1st week or so, I started making shakes with less water and ice, so they were thinner and less volume. Now I just use 2-3 ice cubes, about 12 oz water in a little mini blender ($15). Plus I bring shakes to work in a little cooler. And like Triskele says, late afternoons for me are the most light-headed, low energy. Sometimes I snack on a couple extra fiber tabs…I have these gummy ones that are like candy. I also make coffee (black).
Over 8 lbs lost in Week 1 is awesome. Keep it up. [/quote]

Thanks for the tip!

Read your post after choking down my first shake of Day 6. Thanks for the advice. I think I’m also going to try to drink more of my shakes using a blender bottle versus using my vita-mix to blend - the shakes are much frothier (3 cups becomes 5 cups!) and thicker after high speed blending. I just stick a couple ice cubes in the shaker bottle to cool it down and it’s delicious and doesn’t take as long to ingest.

Yes, good idea. I stopped using the big blender for same reason: too frothy. Good plan.

during the day i find higher volume = higher satiety, and it helps me keep up my water intake. however, for the night shake i’ll often make it similar to how i’ve made casein pudding/icecream in the past

put two scoops of md in a bowl
pour in just enough water to turn it into a paste, whilst stirring it with a fork
stir in your nut butter
throw it in the freezer

chocolate md + nut butter turns into a glorious taffy-like dessert, but the main bonus is you don’t wake up at 2am with the ungodly need to take an ungodly leak

well done on your first week!

Holy crap. I just “tried” the V-challenge. I made it through 3 circuits before throwing in the towel.

Any words of wisdom / experience on this guys? Does it get easier? Should I just rest until I feel like I can do another circuit and then keep on? I’m feeling a little defeated after not completing it. I’m thinking next time I just need to pace it out a little better. Also hoping I’ll be a little more physically prepared for the next one.

BTW, I hate hand walkouts, even on my knees. 10 of these just seems to kick my ass. But so do clap push-ups, and squat thrusts, and… :slight_smile: It’s not called a challenge for nothing.

a1,
yes, just pace yourself and rest as needed. Next week will be easier, as there is less of you to move around. Those hand walkouts are tough. Hang in there. You could try dropping your forearm for a millisecond, when all the way walked out with hands. Don’t drop it for any length of time, or it makes it worse. It just gives you a stopping point and sort of a rhythm. Also, I use a mat for the walkouts.

It’s Day 7 - Just had to report that I really enjoyed my HSM yesterday. I still like food! :slight_smile:

I grilled chicken, broccoli and potatoes on the grill. Had a spinach salad with a little olive oil and vinegar. Is it ok to cook things in olive oil under the HSM guidelines? I put a small amount of olive oil (1.5 tbsp) on both potato and broccoli (but I only ate have the broccoli I made and probably not even a quarter of the potatoes. I just love roasting veggies.

i wouldn’t stress about the evoo or the v-burn challenge. a small bit of oil isn’t going to eradicate a week’s progress, and is a decent addition to your hsm, and neither is stopping halfway through the v-burn. the first one i did kicked my ass… spent a good minute at the halfway mark bent over the sink trying not to lose my morning shake. take a breather, a mouth of water and get back into it. that way, even if you only take a rest for half the time next week you’ll see a marked improvement in your time and performance.
steve

It’s Day 9. I’m feeling pretty light headed and not very with it. The last couple of days I felt fairly energized by my HSM, but feel like that has left me and the hunger pangs are kicking in. Feel pretty good after my shakes, but am definitely hungry by the time my next shake rolls around (actually about an hour before it’s time for my next shake).

Still hanging in and remaining compliant!

Stay motivated. Just think about the results at the end.

I found the days just after the first HSM the hardest…makes you want food again!!! Stay strong!!!

I am at the 14 day mark in my V-diet journey. So far so good. I am down to 231 from a starting weight of 244. My waist is down to 41.5 inches. Feeling great and committed!

[quote]a1oldham wrote:
I am at the 14 day mark in my V-diet journey. So far so good. I am down to 231 from a starting weight of 244. My waist is down to 41.5 inches. Feeling great and committed!

[/quote]

Awesome work! I just started my diet today and I am impressed by your results thus far! I also learned some neat things on here, namely the gummy fiber chews and the chocolate MD stirred with peanut butter and a little water then frozen. I think I will try that tonight!

Keep it up!