Biotest

A Note on Kessler's the End of Overeating

Hi Chris,
I gather you’re a fan of The End of Overeating so I thought I’d post my insight here.
I read TEOO probably a year and a half ago and was duly appalled and fascinated by its content.

Eventually I found and read the book Wheat Belly. Then I decided to revisit TEoO in light of WB insights and discovered something interesting. Kessler essentially wrote that the way the fast food industry stuffs ist food full of fats sugar and salt in various ways and layers often leads us to eat more than we need or want. I have no particluar argumkent with this (esp. in realtion to the sugar part of the argument).

However, apart from occasionally noting that the breads, pizzas, tacos, buns etc on which the fat/sugar/salt sit are simple carbs, he doesn’t seem at all to take the actual calorific or nutritional effect of the breads/pizzas THEMSELVES into account when discussing the addictive effects of fast foods on the consumer.

It is as if he took it for granted that the bready parts of the fast foods are not great but reasonably neutral in their nutritional effects. This assumption, in light of Wheat Belly’s premise that modern wheat is an addictive opiate that increases appetite and other background science about grains in general, needs to be reassessed.

I would still recommend reading The End of Overeating, but mainly for the insight into the fast food industry rather than the straight nutritional insights regarding fat, sugar and salt.

Anyway, thought you might find this interesting.
cheers.

I noticed the same. In fact I’ve been meaning to check the glossary of The End of Overeating to see if he covered the opiate part as related to wheat or gliadin protein. HEeseems to have missed that aspect, which would have gone along perfectly with his book.

I think putting the two books together makes for a powerful reason to change ones dietary lifestyle, though Wheat Belly is too low carb overall for the person seeking muscle and performance. He’s spot-on with the wheat stuff, but nothing wrong with rice or some of the other things he says to avoid or minimize.