Biotest

A New Way of Living: The Velocity Diet 3.0

As a skinny kid, I began weight lifting in 2002 when my parents shipped me off to boarding school at the age of 17. Why? Because there was nothing else to do! All I knew then was eating a lot and lifting weights. When I entered college at Louisiana State University in 2003, I began taking weight lifting more seriously. In the beginning it was pretty much the blind leading the blind in the weight room. I never did any cardio! I just wanted to get big and put on muscle. Little did I know, I was really just fat!

Over the years, my training has been refined and critiqued and I consider myself somewhat of a “beginner expert” when it comes to diet, nutrition, and weight-lifting. I definitely planned to get certified for personal training, and I may even earn a degree in nutrition.

I have tried many diets in the past including a ketogenic and also the HCG 500 calorie diet, which was somewhat of a mistake, but nonetheless required loads of discipline. I was down to 13.4% body fat according to the DXA machine, which is the lowest I have ever been. I honestly looked I was at 12% body fat. At that point, I felt like my genetics were preventing me from losing that stubborn fat in the midsection and the love handles.

This brings me to the Velocity Diet 3.0!

I started the V-Diet yesterday on 1/20/2011. I took pictures for my before photos and logged all my measurements. At the end of the diet, I will post my after photos as well as my body composition results from the DXA machine.

My body composition (from scale):

Date: 1/20/2011 Time: 8AM
Weight: 170 lb.
Body Fat: 14%
Body Water: 59%
Muscle Mass: 132.5 lb.
Bone Mass: 7.0
Visceral: 4.0

My measurements in inches:

Date: 1/20/2011 Time 8AM
Height: 5’9
Neck 15.5
Shoulders: 47.5
Chest upper: 41
Chest lower: 39.5
Waist naval: 35
Upper left arm: 15
Lower left arm: 11.8
Upper right arm: 15.25
Lower right arm: 11.8
Upper left leg: 22.5
Lower left leg: 14
Upper right leg: 22.5
Lower right leg: 14
Ankle left: 8.5
Ankle right: 8.5

Day 1
1/20/2011

Today I began the V-Diet. I did not find it impressively hard to have one shake every three hours. I was hungry during the day, but not starving. I was most likely hungry because my body was used to 3,000 calories of solid food a day and heavy training. At 8PM I did the Intermediate workout and it was easy. I felt very confident and I decided to switch to the Advanced workout program for the remainder of the diet.

WORKOUT 1: 1/20/2011
Level: Intermediate
Total Reps: 20
Rest: 30 seconds
Load: Heavy (4-5 RM)
Phase: 1/Program
Total Time: 25 minutes

A) Front Squat
Weight: 135 - 155 - 165 lb.
Reps/Sets: 5 - 5 - 3 - 4 - 3

B) Lat Pulldown
Weight: 160 - 190 lb.
Reps/Sets: 5/5

C) Dumbbell Bench Press
Weight: 190 - 180 lb.
Reps/Sets: 5 - 5 - 4 - 5

D) Ab-Wheel Rollout
Weight: –

Day 2
1/21/2011

I woke up at 10AM very hungry. It had almost been 11 hours since my last shake. I blend my shakes with 8 - 10 oz. cold water and 16 ice cubes. The shakes are delicious and take me about 30 minutes to drink because they are so thick! I have to admit that one shake every three hours isn’t that bad. I originally was going to use a different fat burner than HOT-ROX, but decided against it. Today, I ordered the HOT-ROX because I want the diet to work to its fullest potential.

Welcome.

You’re much leaner than me to start, although this diet was specifically designed for some just like yourself in terms of BF%.

Today’s Day 12 for me, and it hasn’t been difficult.

I start my last shake at 9pm and have never been hungry in the morning.

I do my NEPA as soon as I wake up (pop the HOT-ROX about 15 minutes before hopping on the treadmill).

then I do my 1st shake at 9am.

Maybe doing the NEPA early makes the difference.

Looking forward to following your progress!

Day 3
1/22/2011

Today I had my first shake this morning 12 hours after my last one, but I was not starving. I worked for the first time last night since I started the V-diet. I work as a server at Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, which is perfect for NEPA walks since I power walk around the restaurant all the time!

Naturally, I found myself slighly more hungry than normal. I brought my afternoon snack shake and dinner shake with me to work. I had the afternoon snack shake when I first got there at 5PM and then I had the dinner shake 3 hours later in two dosess 30 minutes apart. To quinch my hunger throughout the work shift, I drank two cups of black coffee with two packets Splenda and a cinnamon stick each.

I also feel that I need to mention that this morning I woke up with a severe head cold. I usually contract an upper respiratory infection every year around January (weird, right?). According the the doctors this is normal. Anyway, the head cold started with a sore throat two days before I started the V-Diet so I know it’s not related. I just started taking Sudal decongestant (1x per day as needed) and Amoxycillin anitbiotics (2x per day for ten days).

Well, now I’m off to the gym for my 2nd workout. I actually prefer workout days because I get an extra shake! After the gym I will be heading to work again and my head cold will most likely turn into “medicine head.”

Today, I did the Advanced workout and it totally kicked my ass! It took about 45 minutes and I definitely had trouble finishing the sets. Im not sure if it was because I was using too much weight. I felt like I wanted to throw up when I got to the fourth exercise! Here’s what I did:

WORKOUT 2: 1/22/2011
Level: Advanced
Total Reps: 40
Rest: 45 seconds
Load: Medium (8-9 RM)

A) Lat Pulldowns
Reps: 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 4
Total: 9 - 18 - 27 - 36 - 40

B) Incline Dumbbell Bench Press - neutral grip
Weight: 150 - 140 lb.
Reps: 9 - 9 - 7 - 7 - 6 - 2
Total: 9 - 18 - 25 - 32 - 38 - 40

C) Romanian Deadlift
Weight: 185 - 165 lb.
Reps: 9 - 8 - 4 - 9 - 9
Total: 9 - 17 - 21 - 30 - 39

D) Barbell Curl
Weight: 80 lb.
Reps: 9 - 9 - 9 - 8 - 5
Total: 9 - 18 - 27 - 35 - 40

E) Knee Raise
Weight: body
Reps: 9 - 9 - 9 - 9 - 4
Total: 9 - 18 - 27 - 36 - 40

*As you can see, I had to lower the weight in some instances. I also had to rest longer for the Romanian Deadlift, sometimes up to 1 minute.

Should I switch back to the Intermediate workout or continue with the Advanced? I found the Day 1 workout for Intermediate very easy, but I have not tried any of the others.

[quote]reactiontm wrote:
Welcome.

You’re much leaner than me to start, although this diet was specifically designed for some just like yourself in terms of BF%.

Today’s Day 12 for me, and it hasn’t been difficult.

I start my last shake at 9pm and have never been hungry in the morning.

I do my NEPA as soon as I wake up (pop the HOT-ROX about 15 minutes before hopping on the treadmill).

then I do my 1st shake at 9am.

Maybe doing the NEPA early makes the difference. [/quote]

That is interesting that you are not hungry in the morning. Before the V-Diet, I was on a diet I created which essentially was a “super clean 3,000 calorie, low-gi carb, and healthy fats diet” which was designed to put on muscle without gaining fat, but also without losing any fat (due to high calories). I think that the reason I am hungry in the morning is due to that diet for the past 3 months. In addition, the last two weeks before the V-Diet I put my diet aside and pretty much ate whatever I wanted.

Do you think it would be better to do the NEPA walks in the morning than for me to do them at work when I walk briskly in the restaurant for a couple hours?

How long do you do your NEPA walks for and at what pace?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
That is interesting that you are not hungry in the morning.

Do you think it would be better to do the NEPA walks in the morning than for me to do them at work when I walk briskly in the restaurant for a couple hours?

How long do you do your NEPA walks for and at what pace?Do you think it would be better to do the NEPA walks in the morning than for me to do them at work when I walk briskly in the restaurant for a couple hours?

How long do you do your NEPA walks for and at what pace?[/quote]

You’re used to a higher volume of intake, so this will take some getting used to.

You’ll have to decide for yourself if you’re better served by doing the NEPA in a different environment. For some of those with strenuous routines, Chris has suggested skipping NEPA, at least on the days where they have sports practice, or PT, etc.

I literally stumble out of bed, grab my pile of workout clothes, pop the Hot Rix and get on the treadmill. I’m not even thinking straight and I’m barely stable on 2 feet when I start. it’s not easy, but it works for me.

When I do NEPA, I haul ass. 2% incline, never less than 4.6MPH, as high as 5.2.

Friday I got my third mile by 35:05 mark.

I go for 45 minutes.

as far as I can tell, this is harder than recommended, but I can’t help it…

I get on a treadmill, and I want to do better than last time.

Even when I tell myself I’m going to back off, I can’t.

Really, I’d rather be running IT’s on it, but I stick to walking as fast as I can.

I feel great when I step off the treadmill, I feel like I’m 3 steps ahead of everybody energetically, physically, mentally.

And when you look around at how most people start their day, I’m right to feel that way.

Day 4
1/23/2011

I also wanted to mention that I am taking other supplements as well along with the V-Diet that should fall within the guidelines. Here is the list:

1. NOW Resveratrol 500mg (2x daily)
  2. NOW Curcumin 665mg (3x daily)
  3. Himalaya LiverCare 375mg (2x daily)
  4. Himalaya Karela Bitter Melon 250mg (2x daily)
  5. ON Opti-Men Multivitamin (1 serving daily)
  6. ON ZMA 490.5mg (1 bedtime serving)
  7. HCGenerate 1323mg (5x per day)
  8. Jack3d (1 scoop before workout, optional)

Would any of these supplements interfere with the V-Diet?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
1st Question: Should I switch back to the Intermediate workout or continue with the Advanced? I found the Day 1 workout for Intermediate very easy, but I have not tried any of the others.

2nd Question: Would any of these supplements interfere with the V-Diet?

3rd Question: How much water should I be drinking aside from the shakes? [/quote]

I’m by no means an expert, but I have read through 80+ pages of Shugart’s Q&A responses.

My semi-informed opinions:

1- If you LIKE the workout, stay with it. I enjoy it because it’s very unlike the kinds of exercises I’ve done. Lower the weight, or don’t and just add more sets. After all, you’ll notice they give you up to 10 sets to get your required reps. Or, go back to intermediate and raise your weights.

2- The scientist in me says, “Reduce all variables to one.” This is a very well thought-out diet- probably the best I’ve ever seen. Do you really think they’ve left out a lot of critical items? For example, the Superfood eliminates the need for a multi.

Asked another way, “Will you DIE, literally drop dead, if you don’t take those other things for 4 weeks?”

I believe Chris would say, “Do the diet as written.”

3- Drink when you’re thirsty.

An old mentor of mine said, "If you want to be successful in this business, you have to be like Forrest Gump. you have to be “stupid” enough to do what works.

It seems like you’re overthinking this. just do the damned diet as it’s written.

Give it an HONEST try. If you want to improvise, do it your next time around.

Day 5
1/24/2011

Yesterday, I was not hungry enough to where I “needed” the bedtime shake, so I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up two hours later around 2AM and drank it, although I was not starving. Today, when I woke up at 10AM I was VERY hungry. I got out of bed at 11AM and had my first shake. 1 hour later I was starving!

So,I had the lunch shake early. About an hour later I was hungry again! I was able to wait another hour and then I had my snack shake. I thought I was not supposed to be hungry on this diet. Why am I so hungry? Should I add an extra scoop to the snack shake for a total of two scoops or what can I do?

WORKOUT 3: 1/24/2011
Total Reps: 25
Rest: 30 seconds
Load: Heavy (4-5 RM)

A) Front Squat
Weight: 165 lb.

B) Bench Press - close grip
Weight: 175 lb.

C) Chin-Up
Weight: –

D) Push Press - dumbbell
Weight: 100 lb.

1/24/2011

Today, on the “Ask Chris” forum, he answered my questions about “Hungry on the V-Diet” blog. My question concerned my hunger on the V-Diet and my use of extra supplements (listed above).

Chris Shugart wrote:

"Hunger: All I can tell you is that the #1 complaint of V-Dieters is that they’re “too full.” The V-Diet has you hyper-nourished. Sure, the cals are low (it’s a diet, after all) but you should be having food (shakes) every 3 hours or so, plus an extra on workout day (Surge.)

This may simply be what I call a “suck it up” moment. You’re on a diet. You may hungry sometimes. Suck it up. :wink:

And don’t skip shakes anymore. For best results, follow the plan.

As for the supplements, I don’t see anything that would add calories, that would be a no-no, though if you’re following the V-Diet plan a couple of those aren’t needed, like a multivitamin. Won’t hurt though. Also, NO2 supplements are pretty worthless. You could dump that if you wanted to save some dough."

So, I answered: Ok, I’ll drop the multivitamin and the NO2. No problem.

1/24/2011

Today, on the “Ask Chris” forum, he answered my question about “Hungry on the V-Diet” blog. My question was about the use of zero calore products such as Miracle Noodles and Walden Farms to obtain a “full feeling” on the V-Diet.

Chris Shugart wrote:

"Or… you could break the habit of always having to eat. And that’s exactly how Christian Thibaudeau describes it: a bad habit.

And sometimes the only way to get rid of those habits is cold turkey.

You’re looking for the “work around” and what you need to do is “smash through.”

I know it’s different and it can be tough. But get this right for at least 21 days and the rest of your life will be much smoother when it comes to keeping body composition in check."

Day 6
1/25/2011

Today I did not wake up starving. Thank God. I think this diet is getting easier, but I won’t really know until the day after the Healthy Solid Meal (HSM), which is what I look forward to every day. Yesterday, I did the Advanced workout #3; 5 sets of 5 reps for each exercise with 30 seconds rest; no problem.

Today on Day 6, I just did my first V-Burn Challenge for the Advanced workout:

WORKOUT 4: 1/25/2011
V-Burn Challenge
Total Reps: 10
Rest: 0 seconds
Circuits: 7
Total Time: 1 hour 8 minutes

A1) Jumping Split Squat
A2) Hand Walkout - from toes
A3) Single-Deadlift - twist and lateral reach
A4) Rope Jumping
A5) Side Lunge - overhead reach
A6) Hanstand Push-Up (sub. Pike Push-Up)
A7) Squat Thrust - jump and reach

After 5 sets, I was exhausted. After the 6th set, I couldn’t breathe. Halfway through the 7th set, I wanted to throw up. When it was over, I thanked God I was still alive and I thanked Him that the workout was over. I can’t believe it took me 1 hour 8 minutes to do 10 reps of 8 exercises in 7 circuits.

I had the most trouble with the hand walk-out because I assume walking out and walking in counts as 1 rep. I always had to stop after the 5th or 7th rep because my tris were burnt out. I also had trouble on the hand stand push-up; I would have to stop after 5 reps due to a balance issue or just no strength. I went ahead and substituted the hand stand push-up for the pike push-up (Intermediate exercise) after set 3. Next time I will try to do half hand stand push ups and half pikes.

1/25/2011

Today, on the “Ask Chris” forum, he answered my question about “Hungry on the V-Diet” blog.

T-minotaur wrote:

“Ok, I get the idea. So you’re saying it will be easier to eat less after this diet. I know that is important for body composition. However, I was always told you need to eat to grow. And I am constantly trying to grow and put on muscle. How do I grow if I’m barely eating?”

Chris Shugart wrote:

"But you’re on the V-Diet, which is for rapid fat loss. If you need the V-Diet, then you’ve been eating too much, no?

Long story short: if your body is storing excess calories as body fat, then your diet is out of whack. It’s clearly not using those calories to build muscle. It’s spillage… overflow… excess.

It’s not about eating less, it’s about eating right. The body only needs about 800 extra cals per day on a mass phase. Maybe 1000, clean. Any more than that and you’re fat building, not muscle building.

Here’s an article that expands on some of this: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/get_big_without_getting_fat

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
It took me 1 hour 8 minutes to do it: 10 reps of 8 exercises in 7 circuits.[/quote]

Brutal, isn’t it?

I am by no means a world class athlete, but only got through 5 circuits in just over 30 minutes on Sat.

And then I see somebody with a time of “18 minutes flat.”

Yeah, right. The math on a perfect run with 2 seconds between sets, 1 second per rep is just under 15:00…

My wife says, “People lie.”

Nice to see someone put up some honest numbers.

Pat yourself on the back- most people wouldn’t even finish it.

I didn’t.

Kudos to you for finishing your first advanced v-burn challenge. I tapped out after 4 circuits. Going for 5 or 6 next week!

[quote]reactiontm wrote:

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
It took me 1 hour 8 minutes to do it: 10 reps of 8 exercises in 7 circuits.[/quote]

Brutal, isn’t it?

I am by no means a world class athlete, but only got through 5 circuits in just over 30 minutes on Sat.

And then I see somebody with a time of “18 minutes flat.”

Yeah, right. The math on a perfect run with 2 seconds between sets, 1 second per rep is just under 15:00…

My wife says, “People lie.”

Nice to see someone put up some honest numbers.

Pat yourself on the back- most people wouldn’t even finish it.

I didn’t.
[/quote]

Before the V-Diet, the usual cardio I did was 5 sprint intervals on the treadmill for 15 minutes.

In general, the most number of miles I’ve ran at once is probably 2.

I’ve never done any kind of muscle confusion exercises or intense cardio before.

This is probably why the V-Burn wooped my ass.

For me, the V-Burn Challenge gives a whole knew meaning to the term “cardio.”

I’m looking forward to the next V-Burn to see what I’m made of! I’m shooting for 45 minutes.

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
In general, the most number of miles I’ve ran at once is probably 2.

[/quote]

FWIW, the studies I’ve seen seem to show that the cardiovascular returns diminish RAPIDLY once you hit the 2-mile mark.

The V-Burn is no respecter of what “other” things you can do.

The principle of specificity can really bite you in the ass.

you have a good base, i’m sensing an epic after pic

Day 7
1/26/2011

Today is my first HSM day! Today is my first HSM day mutha f*cka!

Today I had my first shake an hour early today because I had to wake up early at 9AM for work obligations. It didn’t bother me too much because I knew I would be having a real meal at the end of the day. Unfortunately, I have to save the HSM for the last meal of the day because I have to work tonight until 11PM.

I did my first NEPA treadmill NEPA walk today for 30 minutes @ 2.0 incline 4.0 mph. The pace was actually a little too fast for me, so I had to slightly run. Chris told me to slow it down between 3.5 and 3.8 mph to ensure that I had a “brisk walk.”

To be honest, I have not been doing the NEPA walks 100% accurately the first week of the V-Diet. The only NEPA I accomplished was walking around the restaurant briskly in short intervals. There were two main reasons for not doing treadmill NEPA walks the first week: 1) I honestly thought I would not have the energy and that it would make me too hungry; 2) I wanted to use the first week of the V-Diet as a transition phase to “ease” into the diet. However, I am now committed to doing AT LEAST 30 minutes NEPA on workout days and work days, and 1 hour NEPA on non-workout, non-work days.

I added two new supplements today:

1. HOT-ROX (2 capsules 6 hours apart)
  2. Micronized creatine (4 5g scoops for 5 days in loading phase)

I weighed myself right before the HSM to see what I’ve accomplished thus far. The scale I use is a Tanita Ironman body scale which uses biometric impedance to measure body composition. This method is not 100% accurate, but it will be the closest you’ll get in the home environment.

Date: 1/26/2011 Time: 11PM

Weight: 164.2 lb.
Body fat: 13%
Body water: 59%
Muscle mass: 134 lb.
Bone mass: 7.0
Visceral: 2.0

*As you can see, I lost a little over 5 lb. and it was all body and visceral fat! My body fat fell 1% and I gained a little muscle.

I weighed myself after the HSM and I gained 5 lb.! 5 lb. of food? Did I eat too much? Here’s what I ate:

1. 2 chicken breasts (1.4 lb. raw)
  2. 4 cups broccoli with 1 cup shredded 4-cheese blend
  3. 1 cup wheat spaghetti with 4 tbsp ground venison with an all-natural homemade tomato sauce
  4. 1/2 banana
  5. 1 serving sugar free jelly beans (37g carbs, 24g sugar alcohol, 8g fiber)
  6. 1/2 cup milk

I originally planned to eat a spinach salad with sliced grape tomatoes and an oil dressing, but the spinach went bad in the fridge. Therefore, instead of the salad I added cheese to the broccoli. I know the oil fat is healthier monosaturation so I do not plan to do this again. I realize the sugar free jelly beans have little nutritional value, so I do not plan on eating this as part of any future HSM. After the jelly beans I craved a glass of milk, so I had a few sips. It’s amazing that poor food choices lead to more poor food choices. This diet has opened my eyes up. Lesson learned.

I began to fill up very fast on the HSM probably because I was eating too fast. My stomach actually began to hurt, but when I slowed down the eating, everything was fine. The amazing thing was that when I was eating the HSM, I did not crave the food bite after bite as I thought I would! The thrill of the meal was gone, and the dream I had built in my head the last week about this religious experience became surreal. Surreal in the fact that I realized that this diet was working: the V-Diet was separating me from food, and it was reprogramming my brain to eat less. After the HSM, I was actually looking forward to not having a meal for 7 days!

I could not wait for my next shake in the morning.

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
Today is my first HSM day mutha f*cka!
[/quote]

Man, don’t censor yourself… shout it out!

RE: creatine

FYI, Chris suggests continuing creatine if you were ALREADY on it.

If not, he says don’t start until after the diet is over.

It could mess with your water levels, and make it difficult to gauge your true progress.

Quit meddlin’ and start pedalin’.