Biotest

A Little Solid Food on the V-Diet?

I am hoping Chris has the time to give his opinion on the subject but this is for anyone else who has one :wink: .

Celery is an extremely low calorie food. 1 long stalk (11 inches) has 2 grams of carbs 1 of which is fiber so you actually have just 1 gram of carb per stalk = 4 calories.

So if you ate for example 10 total for the day, that would only be 10 grams of extra carbs (40 calories) and 10 grams of fiber, although fiber is covered from all the flax seeds.

In most diets celery is often treated as a zero calorie food.

It really helps when you just feel like you need to EAT something, 1 stalk in between or with a shake is more than enough to give satiation.

On the one solid meal a day part, I read one of Chris’s post where he stated it was not a good idea and would not be a part of his book.

What if the meal consisted of protein/fat only consisting of either meat, poultry, eggs or fish. This way you do not over do it on the carbs part which is the area easiest to cheat by accident.

I ask about the meal part because Vince Gironda was extremely successfull on having clients drop fat in no time (usually less than 4 weeks) on a meat and eggs only diet with one big carb meal every 3-4 days. I know this is not similar to the V-diet. Maybe only on the low carb part but I use it as an example that one solid meal a day consisting only of meat, poultry, eggs or fish should easily be manageable.

My main point on the subject is the option to add a slight variety to make the process easier without hurting it.

Thoughts?

I’m sure it would be fine other than it would start a “well if celery is ok, how about raddishes” or whatever thing. So instead of addressing every single food, he just said none.

The V-diet isn’t just about ripping a large amount of fat off of people, something it does rather effectivelly, but about creating real drastic changing in a person’s behaviors. By taking out nearly all food from someone’s diet, you are forcing such changes.

It is about extremes here.

And it just wouldn’t be the same with it.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
The Vdiet isn’t just about ripping a large amount of fat off of people, something it does rather effectivelly, but about creating real drastic changing in a person’s behaviors. By taking out nearly all food from someone’s diet, you are forcing such changes.

It is about extremes here.

And it just wouldn’t be the same with it.[/quote]

Yes but many people on here already have that discipline down and will want to use it just for the fat burning aspect.

Adding celery would have zero negative effect.

It certainly makes the whole process easier with no negative. Even people with bad eating habits would benefit, after all celery is not bad for you.

If you want to eat why not just do a regular low-carb diet? The Get Shredded Diet has worked wonders for many.

-dizzle

I did the v-diet and lost a ton of weight but honestly I would never do something like that again, ever

Even when I did the v-diet, I had eggs in the morning and adjusted intake for the rest of the day, and I felt a lot better doing that than any day where I only had the shakes. And I lost around 25 pounds.

I think taking the basic template and replacing 2-3 of the shakes with whole meals+ adding more diverse fibrous foods with the other shakes would be the best way to go but that’s just my opinion from being on the diet for a month and a half.

my other unqualified opinion is that what they have done with Gustavo recently is bad. The v-diet and first couple months or w/e of diet after it is great and clearly worked wonders and I was inspired by his log. But at some point you’ve gotta way up the calories. The poor guy looks like he’s starving his body, and I think after a couple months of severe restrictive dieting the metabolism needs a big boost. Up the calories, up the cardio and activity massively increasing his g-flux. You can’t just keep cutting and cutting to get that body you want-his muscles have been snatching their rattling last breaths for months and months now… once again, my unqualified opinion

you don’t subtract fiber from the carb count to get an actual carb count.

4g carbs
2g fiber

= 4 grams carbs, not 2

I am finishing my V-Diet today. About halfway through, I replaced the use of 2 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 omega-3 eggs. You could blend these into a shake, or you could fry them (or hard boil them, whatever, just don’t add anything else) if you want to eat some solid food. It really helped, and I think it’s better than the original (peanut butter)

You can find my thread on the original idea elsewhere in this forum. I PM’d Chris and he said go for it, although he won’t admit whether it’s better than peanut butter (I still think it is, but of course level 0 members are all just idiots right? ;))

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

4g carbs
2g fiber

= 4 grams carbs, not 2[/quote]

Yes you do, 1 gram of fiber is NOT digested and so it does not count as absorb calories.

You can easily be on a keto diet and still be packing over 30 grams of fiber a day while actually having less than 20 grams of carbs.

[quote]lowlight wrote:
I am finishing my V-Diet today. About halfway through, I replaced the use of 2 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 omega-3 eggs. You could blend these into a shake, or you could fry them (or hard boil them, whatever, just don’t add anything else) if you want to eat some solid food. It really helped, and I think it’s better than the original (peanut butter)

You can find my thread on the original idea elsewhere in this forum. I PM’d Chris and he said go for it, although he won’t admit whether it’s better than peanut butter (I still think it is, but of course level 0 members are all just idiots right? ;))[/quote]

Eggs are X amount of times better than pb… there is no comparison.

Egg is probably the best natural muscle builder you can have and even in cutting phases. Vince Gironda used eggs as a mass builder and also as one of the two main foods when getting shredded and no one was as shredded as old Vince… it was the primary reason he would do so bad in competitions in the 40s to 60s big and soft was much more IN and judge did not like ripped individuals.

The V-Diet has many similarities to Vince’s method to get ripped. He advocated and meat and eggs only diet as food for 4-6 weeks assisted with liver tablets and green supplements (kelp, algae) to compensate for the lack of fruits and veggies. It is extremely simple to follow (although the V-Diet is even simpler :slight_smile: ).

[quote]Blashy wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

4g carbs
2g fiber

= 4 grams carbs, not 2

Yes you do, 1 gram of fiber is NOT digested and so it does not count as absorb calories.

You can easily be on a keto diet and still be packing over 30 grams of fiber a day while actually having less than 20 grams of carbs.[/quote]

wow

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item.php?item_id=11143&size=4

doing my math it equals 10.1 calories by my method.
your method would not equate

just sayin

Ok… Everyone needs to stop modifying the V-Diet. Once you modify it all you are really doing is a low carb diet with lots of protein shakes. I’m not saying that it won’t work- all I’m saying is that it is no longer the V-Diet.

Stop looking for justification to change the diet just because you don’t think you can handle the full 28 days. It’s really that simple.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Ok… Everyone needs to stop modifying the V-Diet. Once you modify it all you are really doing is a low carb diet with lots of protein shakes. I’m not saying that it won’t work- all I’m saying is that it is no longer the V-Diet.

Stop looking for justification to change the diet just because you don’t think you can handle the full 28 days. It’s really that simple.[/quote]

While they’re at it, they can do 20 rep squats and milk with 10 reps of extensions and water.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:

[/quote]

exactly!

V-Diet is good for macronutrient and calorie requirements. The actual all liquid part is being called into question. Why NOT solid foods. Some good solid protein and veggies? It isn’t the V-Diet, but maybe this would be a more healthy diet? I think that’s what people are suggesting

unmodified V-Diet is absolutely sick for fat loss though, without a doubt. Doesn’t mean it is healthiest though or best for long term body composition goals.

no offense meant to the V-Diet gods =) I just think that is what people are saying, generally

-Jeff

[quote]Blashy wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

4g carbs
2g fiber

= 4 grams carbs, not 2

You can easily be on a keto diet and still be packing over 30 grams of fiber a day while actually having less than 20 grams of carbs.[/quote]

Fiber is not digested, but it does contribute calories. It’s just that we don’t count fiber as a carbohydrate when considering macronutrients, because it’s not insulinogenic. Also, fiber does not contribute 4 calories per gram, even if some labels count it that way. It’s really not worth worrying about.

And obviously the V-Diet isn’t “healthy”. If you’re just looking to lose fat, you’re better off with a low-carb diet that includes mostly solid meals. I think a combination of shakes and meals with similar macronutrient ratios and calories works very well. But it’s not the V-Diet.

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
V-Diet is good for macronutrient and calorie requirements. The actual all liquid part is being called into question. Why NOT solid foods. Some good solid protein and veggies? It isn’t the V-Diet, but maybe this would be a more healthy diet? I think that’s what people are suggesting[/quote]

The V-Diet is so much more than just a low carb plan. The lack of solid food really is the point. That’s how the psychological changes occur related to tastes and cravings. If you’re continuously eating solid food you won’t get that benefit. From a fat loss standpoint I think a solid meal diet will work, but I guarantee you won’t lose as much in the same amount of time. Honestly if you aren’t going to follow the plan to a T I suggest you don’t do it at all and look at the GSD or the AD instead if your goal is low carb.

Well no shit. That’s why it’s only 28 days. It is not supposed to be a long term plan. You need to transition off into a different plan after you are finished. And the V-Diet is anything but “healthy”, but you really aren’t doing any long term damage in only 28 days and the fat loss far exceeds any unhealthiness.

I consider it healthy, sure you have to supplement with some type of green food powder / Superfood to make up for the lack of veggies. I would say that is the crucial.

But if the whole population was using the v diet year round we would have a much healthier population than what we have now. :wink:

[quote]wfifer wrote:
Blashy wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

4g carbs
2g fiber

= 4 grams carbs, not 2

You can easily be on a keto diet and still be packing over 30 grams of fiber a day while actually having less than 20 grams of carbs.

Fiber is not digested, but it does contribute calories. It’s just that we don’t count fiber as a carbohydrate when considering macronutrients, because it’s not insulinogenic. Also, fiber does not contribute 4 calories per gram, even if some labels count it that way. It’s really not worth worrying about. [/quote]

You explained my point of view on fiber allot better than I. Thanks.