Biotest

A Dead Chicken and a Pan (West Africa Stew)

[center]A Dead Chicken and a Pan [/center]

The voice came from above.

“Fully-cooked rotisserie chickens are now 99 cents while supplies last.”

The heavenly voice stopped me in my tracks. “God?” I asked, “Is that you?”

Turns out it wasn’t God. That’s okay, He probably had better things to do last week than put poultry on sale. Still, 99 cent chickens were quite miraculous. I rushed to the back of the grocery store and snagged three dirt-cheap chickens.

“Now,” I thought, “what am I going to do with them?”

There was only one choice really: Make my almost-famous West African stew. After all, there’s no better way to utilize a rotisserie chicken. And while I was at it, I’d volumize the recipe, health it up, and make it <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet HSM friendly.

Here’s how to do it.
[center]West African Stew[/center]
The stuff:

1 big honkin’ fully-cooked rotisserie chicken, hand torn or roughly chopped
olive oil or Pam
1/4 cup diced onion (I buy mine pre-chopped and frozen)
1 tablespoon finely diced ginger (I get the minced jarred kind)
1 tablespoon of finely chopped jalapeno pepper (more if you’re Texan)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup of low-sodium chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter or nut butter of choice
2 tablespoons no-sugar-added tomato paste
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
Pink sea salt and black pepper, to taste
Green onions, chopped, as garnish (optional)

How to cook it up:

1. Add some olive oil or Pam to a big pan and toss in your onions. Add salt and pepper. Saute until translucent, then add jalapeno and ginger. Cook for a couple minutes, then add chili powder.

2. Add chicken stock, nut butter, tomato paste, and apple cider vinegar. Bring to boil, then decrease heat to simmer and toss in the chicken. Stir to combine and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.

3. Plate it up, garnish with green onion (scallions) if you want, then enjoy.

Volumizing Options

Okay, that’s the basic recipe above, but here’s some additional ideas.

*Add about half a bag of frozen chopped okra when you’re adding the jalapeno and ginger.

• Add as much chopped celery as you want.

This recipe contains a lot of ingredients, but you’d be surprised at how fast it comes together given that your protein is already cooked. Find a very large pan, double the recipe, and you’ll have a fast lunch for a week.

One my favorite abs-friendly recipes. It’s always shocking how well peanut butter works with ingredients like tomato and chicken. You won’t believe it until you taste it.

Try it and let me know what you think!

Diet/Recipe Staples?

Nice, this sounds really good! I’d probably skip on the ginger myself, but I’ll definitely have to try this soon.

[quote]u r bunk wrote:
Nice, this sounds really good! I’d probably skip on the ginger myself, but I’ll definitely have to try this soon.[/quote]

FYI, I’m making it again tonight with almond butter instead of peanut, and slivered almonds instead of onions or celery on top. Oh, and extra jalapeno. Should be great. Lots of variations possible here.

YES!

Been waiting on you to post this!

I think de-fleshing the bird takes longer than actually cooking the meal. But I try not to waste a scrap, dark meat included!

No reason to fear dark meat. Put that into the same category as whole eggs.

If you learn how to cut poultry properly it goes a lot faster too. Or so it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=eiwHpDtZHOE&feature=related

Hey Chris I didn’t know where to post this so you would see it but I thought you would enjoy this.

The Chocolate Milk Diet… My head almost exploded.

[quote]Outrage247 wrote:
Hey Chris I didn’t know where to post this so you would see it but I thought you would enjoy this.

The Chocolate Milk Diet… My head almost exploded.

[/quote]

Saw that, afraid to read it.

Probably based mostly on peri-workout nutrition, though using chocolate milk for that is like masturbating in the shower and saying that it’s just as good as bedding a redheaded yoga devotee.

Chocolate Milk when you first wake up, 1 pre workout, 1 post workout. 3 eight ounces of chocolate milk.

Horrible.

Great if you’re in highschool and beat up kids for their chocolate milk and save up? As for your analogy well, most highschoolers wont know the difference, right?

I just tried this with cashew butter, ran outta peanut butter, but I kept everything else the same. It’s very, very good. Thanks for a new recipe, Chris!

[quote]ron22 wrote:
I just tried this with cashew butter, ran outta peanut butter, but I kept everything else the same. It’s very, very good. Thanks for a new recipe, Chris![/quote]

Very cool. Cashew butter is on my list to try with this too.

Awesome, a great chicken recipe and a link to an expert telling me that I should drink chocolate milk to help me loose belly fat.

Interestingly enough, there didn’t seem to be any actual reasons why the milk had to be chocolate, just that the milk needed to be 1% fat because fat helps with the absorbtion of vitamin D, which I though you could get from sunlight anyway.

Nice Chris…up here in canada i dont see chicken’s that cheap but when I do i pull out the old ‘Beer Cann Chicken’ dish ;p. …i’m going to be trying this soon for sure. hope all is well.

David

Hi Chris,

I was thinking about making this for some friends this weekend. Any suggestions for an appropriate side dish to serve with it?

I’m not real good at picking out complimenting tastes. I just eat based on how hungry I am and what’s in my fridge.

Thank you for all the recipes
Collin

That looks epic.
Definitely going to keep this one handy.

Also on the note of the chocolate milk diet, I skimmed the article and to me it seems like a dumbed down version of the way a lot of us eat. They just use chocolate milk instead of Metabolic Drive, Surge Workout Fuel and Surge Recovery. It’s not a liscense to eat and drink whatever they want and not excercise. Yes it’s not ideal, but as much as I hate to say it not everyone needs (or deserves as some would say) super high quality supplements. At least right away.

If three cups of chocolate milk a day, mostly around workouts, is what it takes to convince my friends and family to drop the grains and and processed shit then I’m all for it.

For starters…

Hey Chris, thought i’d upset you a little, a link the chocolate milk diet, check out what they are saying is ‘‘healthy’’ http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slide/new-top-swap-wraps?slideshow=108760#title hmmmmm exactly the opposite of what you should eat i think!!

[quote]Dave1986 wrote:
Nice Chris…up here in canada i dont see chicken’s that cheap but when I do i pull out the old ‘Beer Cann Chicken’ dish ;p. …i’m going to be trying this soon for sure. hope all is well.

David[/quote]

Yeah, the rotisserie chickens here in Us grocery stores are usually around $4 as I recall. No idea why they had a 99 cent special (they were fresh and right off the rotisserie.)

But you’re right, beer can chicken would work great for this. Here’s the recipe for those poor souls who don’t know about this delicacy yet: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/5_lessons_in_hardcore_cookin&cr=

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Hi Chris,

I was thinking about making this for some friends this weekend. Any suggestions for an appropriate side dish to serve with it?

I’m not real good at picking out complimenting tastes. I just eat based on how hungry I am and what’s in my fridge.

Thank you for all the recipes
Collin[/quote]

It’s a rich, heavy-tasting dish, even though it’s healthy, so I’d go with something bright, like a simple salad and steamed broccoli topped with lemon zest. Maybe grill some pineapple.

i made it last night and just ended the meal with sweet chia seed bon-bons. That’s basically this recipe:

…without the baking powders, rolled into balls, then rolled into unsweetened coconut flakes.

Chris this really doesn’t have much to do with chicken and for that matter may seem even disturbing at this site but is there any type of oil that you would consider even the slightest bit healthier than one over another for “deep frying” yeah I know deep frying? Just looking for an alternative…not neccessarily for my own consumption. Your thought are greatly appreciated.