Biotest

A Challenge for Chris: Cinnamon Rolls

Hey Chris. I love your recipies and they have given revival to my diet. Being someone who has changed there ways to the strict paleo diet I still crave some of those favortite foods and I look for occasions to eat them lol… But one food stand above all the rest in my mind and that is the cinnamon roll. Cinnabon cinnamon rolls are something that no matter how hard I try I cannot resist their sugary buttery allure. Thus the reason I stay a good distance away from them lol. But I say If you can make pizza out of Cauliflower then what could you make that closely resembles a cinnabon cinnamon roll.

I haven’t tried that yet, but many TNation readers have had success with “oopsie” rolls, which at least have the look of a cinnamon roll. Check it out if you haven’t yet:

Nice, I guess the same goes for almond flour and coconut flour…but having trouble coming up with the.Cinnamon filling. I think I saw a recipe using cream cheese and butter and of course cinnamon, but it looked like the same recipe as the icing. Got ne good ideas?

That’s where I’d go for a topping or filling: FF cream cheese mixed with Splenda.

The “goop” recipe could work too: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/highprotein_mystery_goop Just add cinnamon.

Cinnabon cinnamon rolls are the devil. My dad used to buy boxes of those all the time growing up with the extra icing. I think you could also try making a paleo or low carb type of pancake and just frosting that up with goop or cream cheese icing w/cinnamon. Might give you that soft “bread” type texture you’re looking for.

Oopsie rolls could work too but are a bit more softer texture wise to me, I haven’t tried the versions with natural flavored whey that supposedly make them more breadlike.

They make a cinnamon roll protein powder. Maybe mixing it into the oopsie roll, or something like that might work. With that protein powder I’m sure there’s a way to figure it out.

Google “coconut flour cinnamon roll” and you’ll find a bunch of recipes. Seem to be mostly vegan so you need to replace the agave nectar with something better.

I have been dying to make these in a paleo way. I found this while doing a massive 48hr search. All you would really have to do is sub ingredients out that are potential problems.

http://www.celiacchicks.com/2010/03/gluten-free-cinnamon-roll-recipe.html

For instance, for the maple topping she recommends using 1 bag of powdered sugar…she can kiss my ass theres no way thats happening. I might as well just go get cinnabon and adjust accordingly. Maybe this will inspire Chris to get cooking and come up with something clean.

Those look awsome…gonna try those real soon…as for maple syrup walden farms calorie free syrup is really good for calorie free…the only things maybe need subing is the agave and grapseed oil…have not looked to heavely into either so I don’t know where they lie on the health scale, but subing them would cut down onn kcals…and yeah the powdered sugar is ridiculous lol…how do these people live with themselves after eating garbage like that…I would be just thinking bout the amount of fasted morning cardio it wouls take to make up for while I was eating lol

Just tried this with the following recipe:

1/4 c flaxseed meal
1/2c plain whey protein
1 tsp baking powder
pinch sea salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
4 packets Truvia
1 egg
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
2 oz fat-free cream cheese

I mixed everything up and poured them into 6 muffin cups, baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

I iced them with Shug’s Mystery Goo, made with vanilla whey, and chopped walnuts.

I’ll need to play with the recipe, they came out a bit dry but otherwise tasty. Next time I think I’ll try 1/2 c flax and 1/4c whey, and maybe increase the cream cheese a little. This might work better with casein than with whey, but I can’t have casein. The Mystery Goo does make a great icing, though!