Biotest

8 Weeks of the Velocity Diet?

Everything I’ve seen insists on the necessity of stopping and doing the break-out after 4 weeks, but I have yet to see any convincing justification of that admonition. Good/bad/catastrophic/awesome idea, and why?

My reasoning:

2 straight months of Velocity fits my goals better - “Drop as much body fat (and, less importantly, as little muscle) as possible by August 25.” If I have to do a break-out and sit at maintenance for two weeks before school, I feel like I’ll be “wasting” the month of August. Besides, I love the way I feel on this diet, except for being hungry all the time.

I mean it’s essentially keto in liquid form, yeah? There’s no rule about breaking out of keto after 28 days. But let’s not get into the long-term stuff, I’m talking strictly 2 months for someone who is otherwise the epitome of health.

The question is not whether I want to do it (I sure as hell don’t), or whether I can (I will trade suffering for results all damn year if I have to), or whether I need to (obviously not) but whether you have a compelling reason why I should not.

Thanks!

Well apart from the fact the creator has said not to, extended low-calorie dieting will be bad for your metabolism.

Or something.

You’ll probably cheat anyway…

…also by keeping low kcals constantly your body will adapt to it’s low intake so by August 25th you would have plateau’d.

There might be the possibility of say doing the 6-week diet then adding two more weeks of transition with 500 more kcals and two solid meals (breakfast and lunch).

Are you going on holiday on the 25th

WANNA LOOK GOOD NEKID!1

I lost as much when I started eating solids again as the last week of the shake part anyway. My eating habits were quite bad previously but once I got started on eating lots of fibrous veges and lean protein and not snacking and stuff I found losing weight to be easy.

I think the four weeks of shakes is good to get you started and keep teh motivation up (first week massive drop) then to break bad habits and develop cravings for good food (2 and 3 weeks) and then to just have a week where you are really friving home those good food cravings and showing yourself you can do something if you set your mind to it (week 4).

After week 4 I don’t see any benefit in the shake component, not even for weight or fat loss. I keep my non fibrous carbs under 100, my protein to 1.5g/lb and fats to what caloric amount I need and fat comes off very easily.

That’s what I think after doing two V-Diet runs.

Well my V-Diet and transition period was 8 weeks, why don’t try something similar to what i did…

wks 1-4: Full V-Diet
Wk 5: 1 HSM per day
Wk 6&7: 2 HSM per day
Wk 8: 3 HSM per day

In fact today, i am eating 3 solid meals and snacking with 3 protein shakes. Its just so damn convenient.

Extended periods of Low kcal would be the least of my problems. Ever thought about the fact that if you keep on fluids for a long period of time your digestive system gets lazy? Meaning that if you stay too long on fluids you won’t be digesting anything in the future and it’ll pass through your system causing problems.

But I suppose staying on an adjusted V-Diet would work. Say 1-2 solid meals every other day as a minimum. But I’m not going to try that :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the excellent posts!

That part about my digestive system getting lax especially. Hadn’t considered that. I really don’t think it’ll be much of an issue, as I’ve always been quite blessed in that area, and can always take my sweet time (and supplement with digestive enzymes if necessary) easing back into solid foods.

What I’m seeing is some people saying it would be a much better idea to do a modified version with at least a minimal proportion of solid meals, and others saying to simply extend the transition and/or extend the whole plan, but proportionally (the latter of which makes quite a lot of sense, intuitively speaking).

I guess I shall have to wait and see how I fare, if there aren’t any further dire warnings? Thanks again to everyone for the input, it’s much appreciated.

P.S. I am currently on Day 17, with flawless adherence, mr. “you will cheat!!1!1!” Well, to my version, which is not quite the same as Chris’s, but much cleaner imo.

[quote]Falstyr wrote:
Ever thought about the fact that if you keep on fluids for a long period of time your digestive system gets lazy? Meaning that if you stay too long on fluids you won’t be digesting anything in the future and it’ll pass through your system causing problems.[/quote]

Are you saying that WILL happen or hypothesising that it MAY?

Everything is possible, but how certain can you be that it will happen? Each person has different tolerance/adjusting capabilities. But with some thing I’d rather not increase possible risks hehe.

I’d just go with a prolonged switch to solid meals. For my second V-Diet run (9 days left) I eased in as well and will prolong the easing out if needed as well. My meal at noon was 450gr of vegetables. Minimum carbs, lots of fibers so that I could drop the disgusting flaxseeds. Then each week adding something sounds solid. Just keep your kcal+nutrient distribution similar to the V-Diet calculations, but make it more and more solid foods.

As a side question. Both runs I experienced the first two weeks nothing but less fluids and more definition, but lost nearly nothing size wise. But the last two weeks it seems my body is doing catch up because I lose several inches daily o.O

Yeah number 1 concern I would think is the digestive track and long term damage to your metabolic rate. And if you screw up your metabolic rate you may as well kiss your definition good-bye because you’ll become a fat adding machine. I’m sticking with the normal transition off for now and still trying to teach myself portion control even with the healthy stuff.

The problem for me is the way the stomache works to tell you you’re full. Since it tells you your full based on weight and not kcals you have to remember to consume a ton of water with every meal otherwise your food portions can start to get out of hand again. You figure it out really quick though after it happens to you.

[quote]Falstyr wrote:
As a side question. Both runs I experienced the first two weeks nothing but less fluids and more definition, but lost nearly nothing size wise. But the last two weeks it seems my body is doing catch up because I lose several inches daily o.O[/quote]

Interesting. I have been losing very steadily. Just under a lb a day, nearly every day. It actually somewhat worrisome, as I don’t want to lose a whole hell of a lot. I’m doing it mostly for convenience and… I guess what you’d call spiritual reasons as I just finished explaining in a pm.

[quote]RageInspired wrote:
Yeah number 1 concern I would think is the digestive track and long term damage to your metabolic rate.[/quote]

Based on what I’ve been told and my past experiences, I don’t think either of these will be much of a concern, really. My digestive system is indomitable. You’re talking to a dude who used to eat dead birds on a dare, or go to McDonald’s and Taco Bell on a Saturday after a night of heavy drinking and make SPECTATORS throw up just watching him solo $80 worth of cheeseburgers and tacos.

I’ve always been a very heavy drinker of water. I average 2-3 gallons a day. And my urine still isn’t clear. I’m thirsty all the time. And yes, I do get enough electrolytes. I’m just running what feels like 10 degrees hotter than most people.

The fullness thing isn’t really an issue at all for me so far. If anything I have trouble eating my one meal for the week because I feel full after the first few bites, haha. This week I’m gonna try some Shawarma, because that’s always been something I can stuff myself with even when dieting. Also, as nod to what you’re saying, I’ve forbidden myself from drinking any water with my weekly meal. It fills me right up way too fast. :slight_smile:

People can only give advice. If you still want to go ahead and do 8 weeks V-Diet then it is your own decision and risk. But do keep us posted about the experience beyond week 4 :wink:

Metabolism is something I wouldn’t worry too much about either. I mean…you can Cut 12-16weeks before that happens. It isn’t like the V-Diet is a crash diet which messes up the metabolism real fast.

[quote]Falstyr wrote:
People can only give advice. If you still want to go ahead and do 8 weeks V-Diet then it is your own decision and risk. But do keep us posted about the experience beyond week 4 ;)[/quote]

Will do. Not sure if I’m going to go through with it yet. Currently on Day 19 and I feel great. Toned down my NEPA some and the strength plateau I was experiencing went away.

I’m basically waiting to see if I go crazy before/during/after week 4. Or if I start to turn orange. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really looking forward to that sandwich tomorrow.

I did the diet twice in a row. Not 8 straight weeks, but like this:

• 4 weeks liquid
  • 2 week transition
  • 4 weeks liquid
  • 2 week transition
  • transition into AD

This worked extremely well for me. I upped my cals and carbs slowly in the second week of the first transition to ensure my health and the safety of my metabolism. You can read the whole thing here: http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1983416

-dizzle

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
I did the diet twice in a row. Not 8 straight weeks, but like this

…[/quote]

Yeah, that was my original plan, as Shugart deemed it acceptable. But I honestly can’t be bothered to do that extra transition right now. Read through your journal, though, and it was very enjoyable. Thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

Next time I do it, that’s pretty much what it’ll be. I dunno if I could hold my shit together if I had to spend the whole day looking at and smelling delicious food like you did, though.

Point of interest: With regard to the plateau/slowdown/whateverwordyouwantotuse, so far my fat loss is actually accelerating, despite my going out of my way to decrease my NEPA drastically. I mean I did party for some 12 hours straight yesterday, but other than that I’ve been as lazy as I can handle.

I’ve never done a proper round of keto, and I think I’ve found my magic bullet (not that I was ever struggling or anything), because this shit is ridiculous. Almost into Week 4 now, and yeah. I think I’ll probably give myself a “eat whatever the heck I want for the day” pass for my friend’s wedding on the Sat of the weekend of August 2nd, so as not to be unsociable, but other than that.

Also, my digestive system seems to be quite fine. Really don’t think that one’s much of an issue. Afaict based on responses I’ve gotten to this and other threads, the main problem lies in Shugart’s plan not covering all the bases well enough to hold up for a prolonged period.

After a while you start to get some complications arising from deficiencies. But I’ve been supplementing with greens and berry extracts and covering all my vitamins and minerals very carefully, and I’m pretty optimistic.

Just a little update.

So what I’ve decided to do is an extra slow transition out. For this week (#5), I’ll replace a shake with a solid meal on my 3 days off from weight training, but within the calorie limits, slightly increased as this transition is also meant to be to a bulking phase.

I figure it’ll take me something like two months to make it all the way out.

Solid meal will be beef jerky (home made… hope it turns out good :D), and blueberries more often than not. Sometimes cottage cheese and oats, if I can stomach them. Always before a run.

Keep in mind that the body has a remarkable capacity to adapt, even to something as extreme as the V-Diet. So, is it a good/bad/catastrophic/awesome idea? I would add the word “lackluster.” Once your body adapts, your weight loss will slow down and be very lackluster, as in you’ll probably be getting the normal 1-2 lbs. per week loss as you would on a regular diet. This will result in a decrease in your motivation to stay on the diet.

I really like experiments and I’m almost tempted to encourage to try this to see what happens. The diet is quite healthy, so I really don’t think you’ll do anything bad to yourself. However, I’m willing to bet that your weight loss will slow down dramatically after the 4 weeks.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
Keep in mind that the body has a remarkable capacity to adapt, even to something as extreme as the V-Diet.

So, is it a good/bad/catastrophic/awesome idea? I would add the word “lackluster.” Once your body adapts, your weight loss will slow down and be very lackluster, as in you’ll probably be getting the normal 1-2 lbs. per week loss as you would on a regular diet. This will result in a decrease in your motivation to stay on the diet.

I really like experiments and I’m almost tempted to encourage to try this to see what happens. The diet is quite healthy, so I really don’t think you’ll do anything bad to yourself. However, I’m willing to bet that your weight loss will slow down dramatically after the 4 weeks. [/quote]

Hey Mike. Thanks for stopping in. :slight_smile:

As far as I can tell, it’s all good. Had a wedding last night, and pretty much broke every imaginable rule, but that was planned. Other than that, still sticking to the plan, and going strong. It was a wedding. Also, it seems my body can take whatever digestively, as predicted.

I do have to run occasionally, but not for long. On Sundays, (today), I do a couple of 30 minute rounds of “test” runs, but I slam some Surge afterwards just to be on the safe side.

Overall, I am quite enjoying this. I know that sounds like some B.S., but I think I’ve made it to the point where I don’t even want anything but my shakes. Instead of struggling to stay on, I’m now struggling to transition out - making myself eat is a bit of a chore. Ah, we humans are funny creatures.

Will let you guys know how things have progressed in a couple weeks. Also, for the record, I have been making good strength and performance gains as well, so there really doesn’t seem to be any downside to this at all. Other than the supposed difficulty of sticking with it. :wink:

closed #19

closed #20