Biotest

8 Tips for V-Dieters

1. Follow the diet.

I know, this sounds like an odd tip. Following the diet seems like a given, right?

Wrong. Most people who fail the diet or get poor results usually change the diet in some way. They use different supplements, ignore the workout recommendations, or try to “make the diet better/faster” by changing some aspect of it.

Listen, the V-Diet is like a complicated machine. Every part of it is dependent on the other parts. Change one thing - use the wrong protein powder, add solids foods (yes, even celery), add or remove calories etc. - the machine can fall apart.

If you’re going to do the V-Diet, DO THE V-DIET, not some halfway kinda-sorta-V-Diet. Success leaves a trail. Follow it. Most successful V-Dieters don’t change a thing.

2. Blend your shakes.

While <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/onlineStore.jsp"target=“new”>Low-Carb Metabolic Drive mixes well with a spoon or shaker bottle, I suggest you use a blender and ice. This gives it the texture of a good milkshake, making it even more enjoyable. And when you’re living on almost nothing but shakes, you want to enjoy them.

If you’re not in a hurry, you can also blend your shakes super thick with very little water and lots of ice. This can then be eaten with a spoon. Not only is this like a tasty dessert, it also forces you to slow down, allowing the satiety mechanisms to kick in. Which brings us to Tip #3…

3. Wait 20 minutes.

Because of a series of complex mechanisms, it takes about 20 minutes for your stomach to know it’s full. This is why you can eat until you’re full, then suddenly feel miserably stuffed 20 minutes later.

Or, if you’ve ever been interrupted in the middle of a big dinner by a phone call, you’ve probably noticed that you’re full when you come back to your half-eaten plate. Your satiety mechanisms had time to kick in.

With the Velocity Diet everyone is different. Some feel very full with the shakes, making it tough to even fit in the right amount of shakes every day to meet caloric requirements. (Those folks are better off making thin shakes without ice.) Others can drink a shake and not feel satisfied. For those people, all they need to do is 1) get out of the kitchen and 2) wait 20 minutes or so.

After the body has had time to “realize” it’s been nourished, you’ll feel satisfied. Maybe not stuffed, but full. And that’s good since you’ll be having another shake 3 or 4 hours later.

4. Get a hobby.

A side effect of the V-Diet is spare time. Really. With no solid meals during the week to shop for, prepare, and clean up after, most people find they have at least a couple of extra hours in the day. But this can be a problem…

Most people who need to lose fat tend to overeat at night. After a busy day and sometimes a couple of skipped meals, nighttime becomes a “dietary danger zone.” We overeat at this time to relieve stress, socialize, and because we get bored watching TV.

With the V-Diet, you’ll have even more spare time at night, so be prepared to fill all that time with something besides mindless eating. Evenings are a great time to get in your daily NEPA walk required by the diet. Not only is this relaxing and de-stressing, it also gets you away from the temptations of the kitchen and keeps you from eating out of boredom.

When formulating the diet, I used this extra time at night for the walk and to get in some much needed stretching and foam roller work.

5. Boost willpower with a full belly.

There may be times during your V-Diet when you find yourself in social situations involving food when it’s not time for your healthy solid meal (HSM). At times like this, especially early in the diet before it gets easier, be prepared. Drink a V-Diet shake right before you go. It’s amazing how dietary willpower is strengthened when you have plenty of good quality protein in your belly.

And before you think it’s “too hard” to do anything social when on the V-Diet, remember that past V-Dieters have been on the diet during Christmas dinners, Thanksgiving, New Years, and Super Bowl time. It can be done.

6. Plan Your HSM Wisely

Is there a best time of day to have the weekly healthy solid meal (HSM)? Breakfast or lunch is the best time. I say this because many people have a tendency to overeat at night. In fact, binge eating, usually at night, is now the number one eating disorder in North America.

During the first week or two of the diet, I’d be a little concerned about someone having their solid food meal as the last meal of the day. I’d worry that a cooked-at-home-meal may turn into a binge, especially if the person has had dietary control issues in the past. However, having the healthy solid meal for breakfast or lunch allows for better control. You have your meal and you’re done – back to shakes for the rest of the day.

During the time I created the V-Diet, I followed this meal timing schedule:

Meal #1: Shake

Meal #2: Healthy solid meal from restaurant (usually steak, plain sweet potato, and broccoli)

Meal #3: Shake

Meal #4: Shake

My logic was twofold: First, I didn’t want to go to the restaurant starving. This might lead to overeating or not being able to resist the free bread they always bring to the table. . . or the dessert menu. So I started the day with a shake. I was hungry three to four hours later, but not ravenous.

Second, once the meal was finished I knew I was done with solid food for the day. If I had waited until the final meal of the day, I might have risked that meal going on for a few hours.

Note that after two to three weeks, you will begin to feel more in control and your cravings and taste preferences will begin to change. After that, it may be easier to have your solid meal at night.

7. Kick That Craving

Some V-Dieters stay very full on the Metabolic Drive shakes; others get hungry between shakes. If it’s not time for your next shake but you’re hungry, here are some tips:

First, think about this: Are you truly hungry or are you just eating out of habit or experiencing a craving?

Make sure you’ve spread your shakes out evenly over the day. You should be having a shake about every three hours, so you should never really be hungry, though you may experience a craving triggered by habit.

If you have timed your shake properly and are still experiencing a weak moment, then this is a good time to:

1. Snack on a few fiber tablets and drink a large glass of water or Crystal Light.

2. If you must, go ahead and have half a shake. This isn’t an extra half-shake, but half of one of your shakes you have planned for later in the day.

3. Try a cup of what I call Craving Killer Tea. That’s a cup of mint green tea with a spoonful of Benefiber added to it. The mint can desensitize your taste buds a little and make some foods seem unappealing (sort of like how some foods don’t taste good after you brush your teeth.) The fiber provides a mild filling effect and the liquid itself is orally satiating.

4. Do something. Anything. And do it someplace besides the kitchen. You’ll be surprised to find out that the weak moment will pass as soon as you get out of the kitchen and get busy doing something else.

8. Don’t sweat the HSM.

Your healthy solid meal doesn’t have to be complex. Here’s a simple guideline:

1. Get some clean protein: lean steak, a couple of grilled chicken breasts, turkey, baked or grilled fish, etc.

2. A big pile of mostly green veggies: steamed broccoli, spinach, zucchini and squash, etc.

3. A small starch: dry sweet potato, a bit of brown rice, or a small side of whole wheat pasta

4. Big salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing (no cream dressings)

5. A small bit of fruit for dessert is fine too if you want it.

Don’t sweat the amounts too much. You’ll be surprised at how fast you fill up on these solid foods, so there’s little chance you’ll overeat.

After your HSM, it’s back to shakes for the rest of the day!

NOTE: I’ll be adding new tips often, so watch for the number to change in this thread’s title! Also, experienced V-Dieters are welcome to reply with their own tips below.

On the days where I need to go for a walk to get my NEPA in, I drive down to the beach and walk on the boardwalk. Looking at this while I do my walks makes them not so boring.

I also do my walks in the evening, for the exact reasons Chris mentioned.

Drink tea
HOT-ROX Extreme and coffee are not a good combination so I decided to switch to tea during the V-Diet. Tea is loaded with antioxidants and may actually help you lose weight faster. Drink tea when you’re hungry or when you just feel like eating and you will be satisfied.

You have any suggestions as to what I should do because I’m a installation contractor and I’m on the road pretty much for most of the day.Therefore I don’t have time to make the shakes in my truck Lol.Unless I buy milk every couple of hours and buy some sort of shaker thingy to mix it?

[quote]Dspence7891 wrote:
You have any suggestions as to what I should do because I’m a installation contractor and I’m on the road pretty much for most of the day.Therefore I don’t have time to make the shakes in my truck Lol.Unless I buy milk every couple of hours and buy some sort of shaker thingy to mix it?[/quote]

Milk? Sorry, you have more reading to do before even worrying about travel/work issues with the V-Diet. Do that, then we’ll be glad to help you out. Here’s where to start:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity/velocity_diet_hq

I really think that #8 is critical. If you don’t follow the last bit of advice “After your HSM, it’s back to shakes for the rest of the day!” you will stymie your results. The temptation is really only there that first week, after that the commitment has been made.

I screwed up and ate solid three times that day and thus “punished” (it will actually be a reward in the long run) myself by adding a week, essentially starting over. It is okay to know that you have no will power, and if you are in that boat then follow the advice in #6 and just go to Outback and don’t “stumble”. The will power will come but don’t set yourself up for failure.

hi whats up, i love the site…great information. Got a question, if im not too keen on trying the V-diet (mainly cuz I know IM probably come off it after like 4 days due to lack of ample food) what other diet could you suggest in order to strip away fat?

Also on training, I have found the page that describes lifting complexes/combos. Would these types of workouts be beneficial for optimizing fat loss?

[quote]warmachine30 wrote:
hi whats up, i love the site…great information. Got a question, if im not too keen on trying the V-diet (mainly cuz I know IM probably come off it after like 4 days due to lack of ample food) what other diet could you suggest in order to strip away fat?

Also on training, I have found the page that describes lifting complexes/combos. Would these types of workouts be beneficial for optimizing fat loss?[/quote]

If you think you’ll fail, then you’ll fail. Fix that attitude first.

Then click the Diet/Mass Programs section of the site and pick whatever best fits your needs. Lots to choose from.

Think diet/nutrition first. Complexes or any other type of training aren’t going to do a thing if you “know” you can’t handle eating right.

I personally did the diet only for a week, just to try it out. I thought maybe some day if I’m training someone that needed to lose some serious weight I could prescribe it to them, and some personal experience would benefit. My tips are:

Pick a protein that tastes good (but still without HFCS of course). I believe Dan John recently mentioned putting sugar-free orange flavored metamucil in shakes. You might be fine with your shakes now, but if you have something very plain, it gets old after day 4 or so.

Make all your shakes for the day the night before. I’m definitely not a morning person, and I’m not home throughout the day, so this was the best option for me. I just sat down before bed and lined up the bottles, and started mixing.

Stay Motivated, and look forward to that solid meal!

A great 8, indeed. A friend of mine is a personal trainer/supps retailer. He suggested that I consume a given protein shake immediately after mixing it. He mentioned that once the powder mixes w/ H20 it begins to lose its nutrients and is rendered less and less effective the more it just sits. Is this a valid assertion?