Biotest

7 wks on Indigo, Need Help Seeing Results

I am wondering if I’m not eating the right carbs and having to much fast content or what you might think is going on. I have been taking Indigo since may 1st and haven’t noticed much difference in my stomach area where I need the most work. I have noticed a little bit of difference in my legs and shoulder area. When I am eating healthy I eat a lot of salad fish and chicken which isn’t many carbs is that an issue? I find myself bloated and not wanting to workout when I get out of bed in the afternoon after working all night.

I did just begin taking my thyroid medicine again hoping maybe it will help. If you have any suggestions that would be great because I was expecting a lot more after more than a month and a half. I was also thinking of maybe just doing the HOT-ROX for a bit and see if that helped. Please let me know what you think the best would be to do. Thanks in advance

Low thyroid is devastating to fat loss.

Could you mention what your prescription is, and if possible post thyroid panels taken before having started the prescription?

A fuller description of diet would help too. Salad, fish, and chicken if really the mainstays of the diet could be very different from what’s needed.

Bekah,
Bill is spot on (as always Bill!)

Typically the stomach is one of the last areas to gain definition, you’ll need pretty low body fat to get there. Also, realize that 6 weeks isn’t really a long time, and without knowing where you started, it’s impossible to know what a reasonable physique goal is for 6 weeks. it sounds like you’re expecting one supplement to be the “magic pill,” as it were.

If you were training very hard and consistently for 3 months and nutrition was impeccable, and you STILL didn’t see ANY difference, that would be something to talk about. Additionally, without knowing anything about your training or nutrition (other than the foods you listed) it’s not really possible to offer feedback on where to go from here.

I am not going to pretend like I know how your thyroid issue is affecting you, but regarding fat loss, if you’re able to post pictures and details about your nutrition, that would be helpful. How many macros/calories are you getting on your training and non training days? Any cardio? If you’re serious about fat loss (which is sounds like you are!) and you’re not tracking macros or are not fully aware of the deficit you’re creating, any supplement you take won’t really do much for you. Supplements will only shine when every aspect of your program is neat and tidy.

Lastly, keep in mind the primary function if Indigo is “nutrient repartitioning,” which will ultimately lead to more fat loss, but these things take time, a lot longer than 6 weeks. Bill recently posted a fantastic article on body fat set point and Indigo, you’ll find it on the home page. HOT-ROX may be helpful to you, but the MOST HELPFUL thing is dialing in nutrition and training, and being consistent with both.

Again, this is withstanding your thyroid issue, and I’m very sorry you’re going through that. But, if you’re able to post as much as possible about your nutrition and training, that would be helpful.

Good luck!

“Low thyroid is devastating to fat loss.”

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with low thyroid and put on armour thyroid. After about six months, I didn’t feel any different so I stopped taking it. AT and medicating thyroid conditions is controversial so I figured I’d focus on getting in better shape, and my thyroid function would naturally improve.

But now, I’ve been taking I3G, working out, and eating clean…and still can’t seem to drop below 20% fat.

I keep thinking if I find the right mixture of NEPA, HIIT, nutrition, supplements, and weight training that I’ll start dropping fat…but maybe it’s a thyroid condition that is holding me back.

How can I figure this out? I haven’t found a doctor in my area that I feel like is competent for people with my goals. They seem good at helping people who are debilitated by thyroid problems but not so much for people like me who feel pretty good but want to feel better…and want to get lean.

How I can figure out if my thyroid is a problem worth fixing?

It can be difficult finding a doctor who will work with you on treating the thyroid for optimal health and function as opposed to at least barely escaping fairly severe disease state.

(In other words, many doctors feel that values need merely to be kept within the “reference range,” even though much of that range is quite bad.)

The site has a recent article on thyroid: https://www.T-Nation.com/diet-fat-loss/what-you-dont-know-about-your-thyroid

Some brief excerpts of particular relevance:

[quote]
Range of Thyroid Levels Indicating Proper Signaling

Free T3: Middle to the upper part of your test’s normal range
Free T4: Middle to the upper part of your test’s normal range
TSH: Preferably no more than 2, even more preferably 1.5 or less

Doctors often omit testing for free T3, but the value really is needed for good diagnosis. Total T3 can be deceptive, as most of the total is inactive.

You don’t need total T3 or total T4. If the free values are fine then the total values don’t matter. Likewise for T3 Uptake and Free Thyroxine Index: you don’t need them.

If free T3 is good, then TSH at the lower end is fine, or even beneficial. (I’m assuming thyroid medication isn’t being taken.)

Overly high TSH generally shows poor thyroid function, requiring abnormally high stimulation to compensate or partially compensate.

High TSH has adverse effects of its own on metabolism, working towards causing metabolic disorder.

If test values aren’t quite so good as these, there’s no sharp transition between “good” and “bad.” It becomes a very slowly sliding scale, with different meanings in different situations. If your results are greatly different from the above and if actions can improve those values, they’ll be worth taking.[/quote]

And on how much iodine intake is needed:

[quote]
About 12% of Americans are seriously deficient in iodide as measured by urinary analysis. Many more are moderately deficient or sub-optimal. So while diet alone can provide good iodide intake, very often it doesn’t. It’s worth giving your food choices and iodized salt intake a quick lookover.

If most of your food is homemade and salted with a medium-to-heavy hand with iodized salt, you should have good iodine intake already. If not, then you should increase it.

How much iodized salt is needed, if it’s your principal source of iodide? When iodized salt is at full potency, it takes about 2 grams or about half a teaspoon of iodized salt (about 936 mg sodium) to meet your rock-bottom minimum for iodide consumption.

Generally, fast foods, processed foods, and restaurants don’t use iodized salt. If a label reads merely “salt” instead of “iodized salt,” it’s not iodized. And “sea salt” contains little iodide.

As a way of looking at how iodine-rich some foods are, you could meet a 150 mcg/day requirement by consuming any one of these in about the following amounts:

2.5 cups of milk, yogurt, or cottage cheese per day
2.5 baked potatoes with skin
12 eggs
13 ounces of shrimp or of “average” saltwater fish
13 ounces of turkey

Beef, chicken, pork, rice, most wheat products, fruits, and vegetables are too low in iodine to be major sources. Seaweed or kelp are extremely rich but aren’t common foods in America.

Also, whey protein concentrate and micellar casein are pretty rich in iodide. It takes only about 80 grams of these proteins, give or take, to provide 150 mcg iodine.

So if your diet has several of the above things or a lot of even one of them, you won’t need iodized salt or a supplement. But if your diet is strong on things like beef, chicken, vegetables, pasta, and fruits and weak on the above, then iodized salt or a supplement will probably be beneficial.[/quote]

So briefly, if it appears your choice of foods may not be supplying sufficient iodine and you do not take an iodide-containing supplement or use much iodized salt, you’re likely iodine deficient.

Vitamin D deficiency can be another reason for low thyroid activity, and also causes its own problems for fat loss.

If your TSH is above 2, that would be a sign of having impaired thyroid, even if a given doctor would consider that “subclinical.”

If your free T3 (different from total) isn’t at least about midrange, thyroid function could be impaired. If it’s well below midrange, it certainly is.

[quote]Bekah D wrote:
I am wondering if I’m not eating the right carbs and having to much fast content or what you might think is going on.[/quote]
Like Bill and Rob have said, if you can give us more detail about exactly what you’re eating everyday and exactly how you’re training (your weight training and cardio plan), we can try to figure something out.

Based just on this, I’m inclined to say that it may have something to do with the medication. Or it could just be a matter of how much fat you have to lose. If you’re starting off kinda-lean, stomach fat can sometimes the last to go, which drives us all nuts, of course.

If you saw absolutely zero progress, I’d be much more concerned. But if you’re legs and shoulders are improving, that means your plan is working on some level and it’s just a matter of dialing it in.

This could be from having your calories too low, training to much or too hard, or from a handful of other factors.

Like I said in another thread, the best plan is to get your training and nutrition totally sorted out before adding a fat burner.