Biotest

60-Something Challenge

My goal was to be in the best shape possible by age 60, but I backslid and missed the mark. Started weightlifting a few years ago, but backslid on that after we got our home gym. I realized that having people around kept me motivated, and without that the workout’s rather pathetic! So here I am at 61 years/3 weeks aiming to get back to where I was two years ago to start with, then pushing on further.

I’m back at Anytime Fitness, enjoying the camaraderie which pushes me further than I’d push myself. Last month my son persuaded me to check out the V-Diet as a good kick-start, and after much review I’m starting today.

My goal is as much about body fat as weight, with an ideal range of 122-128 pounds, and 20-24% body fat.
My stats on Day 1:
weight: 152.1#
height: 65
Body fat: 32% (Omron Monitor, set at Athlete for consistency)
arms: 12 each
chest above: 38
chest below: 34.75
waist @ navel: 35.75
waist @ smallest: 32
hips: 39
thigh L- 23
thigh R- 23.5

I’ll be logging in daily, but checking weight and stats only weekly. Photos only at the end. Will be following other logs for inspiration.

Good luck!! I am three days into my second week. The first week was definitely harder than this week so far. You get a little more used to not eating and the shakes even taste better to me this week. I even had a few dreams about eating during the first week.

thanks, Sandradee. Yours is one of the blogs I’m watching, and it’s really helpful to see what’s in store. I agree with you on the chocolate – didn’t think I could choke that down for very many days, so I ordered strawberry and banana. My hardest challenge is the distance between meals, I’m a morning feeder, and get most of my calories between 7am-1pm.

So it’s sheer willpower keeping me on this 3-1/2-4 hour time between intake. Being part of this forum is going to be very helpful, I’m sure.
Congrats on your 7 pound lost, and I know you’ll keep going strong!

Day 2:
Yesterday went well – was super-hungry in the morning, but that tapered off by early afternoon. Had a great workout:
BBSquat: 85# 10,10,7,6,5,2
DB Bench Press (25# weights) 8,6,4,4,4,3,2,3,2,1,3
Bent-over BB Row: 50# 10,10,10,7,3
Plank: 50.60,60

Then 15 minutes of bicycle – legs were like rubber so didn’t try the treadmill, and after 15 minutes on the bike I just couldn’t do more.
But hadn’t been to the gym for nearly six weeks, so was happy with everything. Hadn’t used 25# DB on bench press before, so was proud of my determination to make it through.

Best inspiration of all to continue this: I took my before photos in bikini top and short and thought (first of all) “Ugh – how did I let this happen?!” and (secondly) “I’m definitely turning this around…day by day…for six weeks and beyond!”

Good work! Those are some good weight numbers for 60-something.

A picture someone took of me working out is what motivated me to start this whole process also. I think of it when I’m feeling like throwing in the towel. Then I remind myself it’s only 28 days (plus 14 easier days) to make some great changes and improve my eating habits.

Keep it up!

Day 3: First off: thanks, Sandradee, for the encouragement. I think I’ll keep that picture in my permanent file to look at whenever (1,5,10 years from now) I’m inclined to backslide again! :slight_smile:

Yesterday was a good day. Not much hunger. Then 60 minutes on the treadmill at 4.0 mph at a 1.0 incline. = 375 calories burned.
Last night my thighs were so tender from the Day 1 squats that every time I turned over in bed I woke myself up! But that’s a good pain…no complaints. Looking forward to Romanian Deadlifts tonight.

Day 3, cont’d:

workout: ( I didn’t have my sheet with me, so used JDeane’s with modifications:

Romanian DL: 90#. 10,10,10,10 (next time use 100#
Lat Pulldown - wide grip: 70# 10,10,10,7,3
BB Curl: 45#: 10,10,10,10 (next time use 50#)
Incline DB Bench: 15# 10,10,10,10 (last set was to fail)
Side Plank hold: L: 35,30,27 R: 35/30/28
60 minutes @ 4mph walk (last 15 minutes I had to push myself to continue; last 5 minutes I was counting down the seconds!)

All round good day – some hunger, for sure, but not awful.
Before starting this I’d just come off a 10-day silent Vipassana Meditation Retreat at which I ate only two small meals a day and fasted from 11:30am-the next day at 6:30 am. A 10-day sit in silence is one of the most difficult things I’ve every done, physically or mentally, and this is the second year for me of doing this retreat, so I felt very prepared to start the V-Diet. Sure, the squats are leaving me with very sore muscles and messing with my sleep comfort-- but imagine kneeling on a cushion …without moving at all!.. for 12 hours a day, 10 days straight. Now THAT’S a challenge against which even the V-diet pales.

Anyway…I’ve decided I’m going to weigh in only on Day 28. I know what I’m going to eat every day, and what my physical routine will be…so I’m just going to focus on that, increasing my strength and stamina, and let the scales show what they will at the end.

Wow - that retreat definitely sounds like a challenge! I’ll take the v-diet over that any day :slight_smile: . Now that I know that, I’m setting the bar high for you staying tough here :wink:

It’s probably a good plan to forget about the scale until the end. I’m tempted to weigh myself more than once a week, but I know daily fluctuations will frustrate me. I’m even a little hesitant about weighing this second week because I know results will have dropped off from the first week.

That second-week drop-off is exactly why I’m waiting until the end. In January I did a Whole-30 challenge (no grains, sugar or dairy) and lost 7 pounds the first week…and not a gram after that. So you and I should start a “Wait to Weigh” movement…even if it’s just the two of us!

Day 4: Went to the gym early to avoid a snowstorm and to take advantage of the noon shake. 60 minute walk wasn’t quite as difficult today. Hunger’s not bad. Actually rather enjoying the shakes so far (although I may feel differently in a week!) and not having to think about cooking…frees up time to post!! :slight_smile: But I did go to the store for tomorrow night’s dinner (have moved it up two nights on account of the lovers’ holiday!). So my husband and I are preparing Broiled shrimp cocktail as an appetizer, then a mixed green salad with blueberries and toasted almonds, Clementine-glazed broiled salmon with spiced sweet potatoes, and strawberries/blueberries/clementines for dessert. Ahhhhhh! I’m so excited!!

The most challenging element of this week has been finding the time. My work schedule is crazy-busy right now, and it’s a 40-minute round trip drive to the gym…so in reality the workout + commute+ walk is about 2-1/2 hours of my day. But you do whatcha gotta do…not cooking dinner saves and hour, and only one episode of Game of Thrones a night instead of two makes up most of the rest!

Day 5: good day. decent workout, although I had to cut NEPA shortto 15 minutes due to client meetings and having to get home for dinner…will make it up tomorrow.

DL-sumo: 85# 10,8,6,8,8
Standing Shoulder Press: 20# 8,6,5,4,4,4,4,3,2
Lat pulldown, underhand grip: 70# 10,10,10,10
plank: 35,30,30 —must be worn out or more out of shape than I thought. A year ago I could easily plank 2 minutes.

Great dinner: four small-plate courses lasted nearly two hours. Next whole meal – only 8 days away!

Day 6-- blew it off completely…slept in late, then had tea with a friend, then ran into another, then another, and before I knew it the day had gone and at was evening and I just didn’t want to stay in town any longer to go to the gym.

Getting back onto the shakes after a whole meal was a bit of a let-down. Oh well…

Day 7: did the Challenge. Wow!! 25 minutes to do the 5 circuits. Really rough on the last one. Could only go down about 3-4" on the pike pushups. Need to work on arm strength.
Have only banana and strawberry shakes right now, but a, exchanging some this week with Jacob (who has an oversupply of all-chocolate!!) so am looking forward to doing some mocha breakfast and maybe hot chocolate before bed. Never thought I’d get tired of the fruit flavors, but…!
Biggest challenge of this four weeks (only three to go!) is forcing myself to stay on-track with workouts and NEPA. Seems I always have made excuses for not taking time to exercise…hence the backsliding! But I’m hoping these 4-6 weeks will be a good start in reestablishing the workout habit.

Evening of Day 7. Starting to realize why so many people bail at this point…not that I’m going to do that, but I’ve been grumpier today than I have been in god-knows-when…I’m so hungry that I’m ready to bite off the head of anyone that crosses my path, so it’s probably good that I just have a lot of one-person stuff to do today. It’s Sunday, so I’ve spent a lot of time with my husband and he’s been snacking all day…from the moment he woke up until this evening…bacon and oatmeal/bananas Foster, then chili, then grilled chicken and crunching on wasabi peas and almonds ALL DAY…it’s been driving me nuts!!! I finally had to just hole myself up in my office to get away from the food smells and crunching. The mint tea’s just not cuttin’ it.

Had to vent…just for the record.

I had the same problem yesterday - bad mood and so hungry I really had to fight through it. I guess it was one of those days :slight_smile: Good job for making it. It seems now I have some easy day and some hard.

I was wondering if Jacob was your son. I saw him mention trading shakes with his Mom and thought it might be you. Hopefully you can vent to him too since he knows what you’re going through. Venting here is good, but lacks the immediate feedback I could use sometimes.

Stay strong!

Yes Jake’s my son. He had a rough go on this diet sometime in the second week…broke down and had a pizza…way too much chocolate I think! He’s my motivation for this diet, for weightlifting, and so much else. He got my husband and me into weightlifting about three years ago…a great family activity.

So Day #8 was much better. Feeling good. hunger not at all intense.

BB Squat: 85# 8,8,8,8,8
DB Bench Press: 25# 8,7,5,5,3,4,4,3,1
Bent-over BB Row: 55# 8,8,8,8,8
Plank Hold: 1 m 20s; 1m 10s, 40s

60 minutes at 4.1 mpg

Day 9: Intended to do Power Yoga for NEPA…didn’t…need to make it up.
Day 10: Romanian DL: 100# 10,10,10,10,10
Lat Pulldown- underhand: 70# 10,10,10,9,7,4
DB Standing shoulder press: 15# 12,10,8,7,7,6
Side Plank hold: L 52,32,37 R 41,36,36
15min Walk @ 4.1
15 min bike (with arms) @ 11 – 15 min
(total cardio: 200 cal)

Day 11: 60 min walking (370 cal)

DAY 12:
Sumo squat 110# 10,10,10,8,67,5
incline DB bench - 25# 10,10,10,8,2
pulldown - 70# 10,10,10,10
plank: 1min 10s, 1 min 5s, 54 s
15 min walk

Tough day to get through…very, very, very tired.

[quote]veejer wrote:

Tough day to get through…very, very, very tired.
[/quote]

But you still got through! Doing awesome, Mom!

You’re halfway through now, right?! How’s it going? I get a tired day here and there too, but seems to be less of them as time went on. I think sometimes it’s when the HOT-ROX wears off and it feels like I’m crashing. Keep it up! Now that I’m nearing the end, I realize it does go by rather fast, even if it doesn’t feel like it at the time. And it’s given me a great sense of control over what I’m eating. Hoping the same for you.