Biotest

50 YO Seeking Supp Advice

All,

I started my journey in weight training back in the '70s and, except for short periods of time when schedules have made it impossible or injuries have prevented me from doing so, I’ve been pretty consistent. Along the way, Iâ??ve gone through a number of supplement phases, trying different things recommended in magazines of the day (Muscle and Fitness, IronMan, etc.), with little to no effect except on my wallet.

I’m approaching 50, and haven’t lost the desire to train one bit. Aside from a quirky left knee and Achilles tendon, I’m still very active. However, my methods and goals have changed. Years ago I was just interested in getting big and strong. Now Iâ??m interested in being strong, but donâ??t necessarily want to lug around a lot of extra mass.

My training now incorporates a lot of kickboxing/boxing, and interval training; hill sprints, strongman type medleys. My weight training has included 5/3/1 (love it!) and I’m looking closely at CT’s “Built for Bad” plan. Iâ??ve done it before and this type of circuit training is very appealing for a busy, single-father of a demanding nine-year old daughter.

Recently I’ve incorporated training paradigms from Chad Waterbury’s book “Huge in a Hurry”. The “Get Lean” plan laid out in that book seems to be a good way to lose some fat prior to an obstacle race I"m competing in this May. I havenâ??t started doing a lot of cardio yet, but plan to do so as soon as the snow melts here in Connecticut.

So…to the point…

The amount of supplement information out there is insane. I’m like a deer in headlights when I read that stuff. For that reason, I’ve tended to settle into just using a protein powder for peri-workout supplementation, and rely on eating correctly as best I can. However, I don’t think this is going to serve me well once I start to do the cardio portion of my training, which will include long and short distance running, sprint intervals, boxing/kickboxing, and various bodyweight, or functional strength medleys. I’ve read with great interest about Plazma, Mag10, and Indigo3G, and was hoping to get advice on how to incorporate these supplements (or others?) into my training.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No sure why the app replaced the apostrophes with those other characters. I tried to correct it, but no go. I apologize if it makes the post more difficult to read.

Characters: If you pasted this from a Word doc or similar that uses smart quotes and apostrophes (curly ones instead of straight) then most forums will turn that into crazy characters. You can toggle that off in the original Word doc.

As for your questions, the password here is recovery and that means focusing your supplement efforts around the training period: just before, during and just after. Here’s a great article that gets into the details, and explains why a plain protein shake won’t cut it: http://www.t-nation.com/supplements/what-you-dont-know-about-workout-supplementation

You want to build more muscle during your lifting, recover faster so you can do it all again sooner, have better workouts, build strength, and retain muscle when you start your longer distance work. The right workout nutrition plan will do all that. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G is a good addition as well. A basic plan for weight training workouts would look like this:

30 minutes before training: 6 capsules of Indigo-3G
15 minutes before training: 1 serving of Plazma (pre-load)
During training: 1 to 2 servings more servings of Plazma
After training: 1 serving of Mag-10

For cardio-only or conditioning-only workouts, go with Mag-10 around the session.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for a starting point in my supplementation.

You said “…for cardio-only or conditioning workouts, go with MAG-10 around the session”

I take this to mean no Plazma or Indigo-3G, just a dose of MAG-10 before, during and after cardio/conditioning training…right?

Any advice on the non-workout/active recovery days?

Your help is invaluable…thank you so much!

Andy

General guideline would be to use Mag-10 by itself if it’s just a cardio or conditioning session around 20 minutes or less. Mag-10 is perfect for taking advantage of the post-absorptive state: http://www.t-nation.com/training/predator-conditioning

But if you’re lifting weights for hypertrophy or strength, go with the full protocol: Indigo-3G before starting workout nutrition, Plazma before and during, Mag-10 for post-workout.

For Indigo-3G, if it’s an off day or conditioning-only day, take it before your biggest, carbiest meal.

Mag-10 is great for protein pulsing between meals on off days.

[quote]vichamr8 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for a starting point in my supplementation.

You said “…for cardio-only or conditioning workouts, go with MAG-10 around the session”

I take this to mean no Plazma or Indigo-3G, just a dose of MAG-10 before, during and after cardio/conditioning training…right?

Any advice on the non-workout/active recovery days?

Your help is invaluable…thank you so much!

Andy[/quote]

Hi Vicham,

I saw your post and it looks like you and I are in the same boat. I turn 51 in a couple weeks and rotate a twice weekly full body protocol with 2 sessions of 1 hour boxing at Title. I’m also using 5-3-1.

I’ve noticed over the past few years that my ability to fully recover between workouts has diminished. This is especially true when my busy work/travel schedule forces me to compress my lifting and boxing in back to back days. I switched from Surge to MAG-10 with a dash of Creatine over a year ago for my post workout nutrition and noticed a big difference in my recovery. Encouraged, I added Plazma last summer and now find I can train easily on multiple days with much less fatigue and soreness. I can can verify firsthand that this is a great protocol for someone our age and I consider it a secret weapon for rapid recovery.

A question for you Chris:

I could use some guidance as to the best pre workout nutrition for my boxing workouts. These hour long sessions twice a week consist of hitting the heavy bag or instructors mitts mixed with calisthenics. It is non stop, fast paced and exhaustive. I have always followed the session with MAG-10. Not sure if I should also use MAG-10 pre or if Plazma might be a better choice before or during.

Thanks for your help.

Mag-10 is a great choice for post-boxing, so good choice there. Generally, when we talk about cardio or conditioning work, we recommend Mag-10 during. However, if it’s very intense and last longer than 30 minutes, a serving Plazma may suit you better. We’d suggest starting with one serving of Plazma. Drink some before starting the workout, then the rest during. That may be all you need to really ramp things up.