Biotest

5/3/1 Workout

Okay I am on day 8 of the V-Diet. I have been doing 5/3/1 for a year and love this workout for overall strength levels. I workout M-T-T-F at 4:30 in the am before I go to work. My only cardio consists of pushing a prowler and farmers walks. Here is my typical week if you are familiar with 5/3/1 you know that it changes every week and you get one week a cycle for a deload.

Monday 

Push Press

95 X 2 X 5
115 X 2 X 5
135 X 2 X 5

Working set

155 X 1 X 5
175 X 1 X 5
195 X 1 X 5+ = 7

Fat Gripz Military
135 X 1 X 20= 20

Croc Rows
100 x 2 X 6
80 X 2 X 10
60 X 1 X 20

Curls St Bar Fat Gripz

65 X 8 X 6

Tuesday 

Deadlift Sumo

135 X 2 X 5
185 X 2 X 5
225 X 2 X 5

Working set
275 X 1 X 5
305 X 1 X 5
345 X 1 X 5+ = 5

245 X 1 X 20= 20 with straps

Farmers Walks

110 X 8 X 25 yards

Thursday 

Floor Press

135 X 2 X 5
185 X 2 X 5
205 X 2 X 5

Bench

205 X 1 X 5
225 X 1 X 5
245 X 1 X 5+ = 5

185 X 1 X 20= 15

Blast strap Push Ups 6 inches from floor

BW X 3 X 8

Friday

Hip Band thrusters

3 bands X 3 X 10

Squat

135 X 2 X 5
185 X 1 X 5
225 X 1 X 5
245 X 1 X 5

Working set

275 X 1 X 5
305 X 1 X 5
345 X 1 X 5+= 5

255 X 1 X 20= 17

Okay Chris any opinions? I know this is not at all like the V-program you have, I just want to come out of this 28 days with my maxes staying the same and my BF down.

Powerlifter Doing the V-Diet

Any loss of strength on a fat loss diet is temporary anyway.

And sometimes it’s not even “real.” Meaning, if you lose two inches of chest and back fat then your bench press is going to go down. Why? More range of motion: the bar has to travel farther. But that’s not “strength” loss. That’s tittie loss.

And what’s so important about those lifts? Assuming you’re not making a living powerlifting, how about the dramatic increase that fat loss will give you when it comes to dips, pull-ups, and push-ups? Speaking generally here, why is it that we focus so much on three lifts while letting others go to hell? A big big bench is cool, but so is being able to do more than two good pull-ups.

In other words, for best fat loss and muscle maintenance (or even gain) results, use the V-Diet training program. What you’re asking me to do is fix the problems that may occur when you decide not to follow the program. And I can’t really do that. I can only help you with what I know works with this type of diet, and that’s the provided program. The rest is going to be your own experiment, which I do hope works for you, but will be “risky” in that it’s not proven.

Thanks for the honest opinion, cant do much bench or dips for that matter due to chronic shoulder problems. I hear what you are saying about overall health. I am at that point in my life I have some goals for my dead and squat. I figure this is my last real chance to hit 500 on both. I want overall strength with overall health.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Thanks for the honest opinion, cant do much bench or dips for that matter due to chronic shoulder problems. I hear what you are saying about overall health. I am at that point in my life I have some goals for my dead and squat. I figure this is my last real chance to hit 500 on both. I want overall strength with overall health. [/quote]

And you can do it. But it’s the old fortune cookie wisdom I always like to throw out: “Chase two rabbits and both will escape.” Going for super fast fat loss AND PRs at the same time… that’s tough. Maybe rip the excess fat off first, then maintain the fat loss while shooting for strength gains. Cycle it.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Thanks for the honest opinion, cant do much bench or dips for that matter due to chronic shoulder problems. I hear what you are saying about overall health. I am at that point in my life I have some goals for my dead and squat. I figure this is my last real chance to hit 500 on both. I want overall strength with overall health. [/quote]

And you can do it. But it’s the old fortune cookie wisdom I always like to throw out: “Chase two rabbits and both will escape.” Going for super fast fat loss AND PRs at the same time… that’s tough. Maybe rip the excess fat off first, then maintain the fat loss while shooting for strength gains. Cycle it. [/quote]

I have spent the last year working on the PR and getting back into heavy weights. At the moment not looking to increase those PR’s. Just stay static and not DECREASE on my lifts. I was looking for your opinion on the workout I currently perform any problems with this and the V-Diet. Again its 28 days, the cycle for 5/3/1 is a month. I should have gone up on my % but I kept them the same for this month.

My thought is this basically I started out at 238 lbs (no Idea on BF %) with a 435 dead, 455 squat. If I can drop BF% and come in weighing 215-220 lbs and maintain the same maxes I am better off in the long run. I can maintain the 215-220 and work on PR’s then.

Any thoughts?