Biotest

5/3/1 and V-Diet Question

Ok i tried searching but cant figure out how to search this specific section. I figured this has been asked before…

Anyway. I hope you can answer some of my questions. First off ill say i plan on ordering the supplements listed if i do the diet.

Next, i compete in powerlifting (just pulled 620 last weekend at my meet!) And my training partners and i have been following 5/3/1 and i was wondering your thoughts on running 5/3/1 while doing the V-Diet. We are only lifting 3 times a week so that matches up still.

I weigh 265ish right now and wanted to drop back down to the 242 weight class and thought this diet would help me do that quickly then get back to maintaining that weight. Do you think my strength will take much of a hit on this diet? I read the claims but i dont see how it couldnt drop some at my strength level (not bragging i dont think im that strong… but more than average). I was just thinking that if i dont lose muscle and drop the fat quickly i will get the strength back quickly after, if i do lose some.

Sorry i know thats a lot of rambling but i would very much appreciate the advice. Thanks a ton

I’ll chime in here–I have seen many guys try to keep doing 5-3-1 while on the V-Diet, and I have seen only 1 that I can remember actually succeed…the intensity on 5-3-1 i think is too much for such a severe calorie restriction…if you are trying to lose 23 pounds (!) in a fairly quick manner, I don’t think you are going to be able to maintain your strength during the diet…

Here is the thing though–I’ve done the V-Diet twice…my strength did decrease a bit during the last one I did…I was following the V-Diet workouts (which I think are optimal for the V-Diet/fat loss) and lost a bit of strength while on the diet…BUT i was back to hitting new PR’s on 5-3-1 the second week back…at 15 pounds lower bodyweight!..so while I sacrificed a BIT of strength for 4-6 weeks, and sacrificed the strength gains that I otherwise would ahve gotten over 4-6 weeks, it did not set me back too far and I was quickly able to recover…

My suggestion: do the damn diet as written! You will be fine afterwards…

Better not let Meat find out you’re trying to be a bikini model again though…

I have to agree with VTBalla. Looking at the workout protocol defined for the V-Diet beforehand, it looks way too easy, especially for someone who has been pusing it on a program like 5-3-1. But once your start the diet, you won’t have the same amount of energy in the weightroom.

Before I started, I had grand plans of adding exercises to my workouts because I looked at the advanced plan and said “there is no way this is going to challenge me”. But when I started, the workouts kicked my ass.

I think as long as you use your true 4-5 rep max (or 8-9 depending on the day) and are disciplined when self-enforcing the rest periods, you will find that the workouts, while quick, are actually very challenging. The key is to not cheat the workout and go too light on weight or take that extra 5 seconds here or there.

Good answers above.

Yes, it’s better to stick with the provided V-Diet training plan. It’s not too much, not too little, and very challenging if performed correctly, so be sure to read the WHOLE V-Diet plan for full instructions.

As for strength, again, good answers above. With just about any fat loss diet, strength can temporarily fall, then shoot back up. Some people actually report strength gains on the V-Diet, but my guess is that a competitive powerlifter may notice a slight, short-term drop. But then again, this is tricky:

1. Losing inches of fat will change how you lift. Say you lose an inch of chest and back fat. The bar, in a bench press, now has to travel further as ROM has increased. You’re not “weaker” – you’re just using a longer range of motion. But…

2. With less body fat, dips, pushups, pull-ups etc. will increase. Did you get stronger? Maybe. But you’re also lifting less body weight after fat loss. Your vertical will also go up.

So, keep those considerations in mind and keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Pretty much what i expected to hear. I did read the article and will read it again befpre starting. I have no illusions that the workouts will be easy if done correctly.

What would you do in place of overhead squats? I have tried them a few times and just cant do them. I lack the flexibility and balance as of now. We have a safety bar, cambered bar… etc.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Better not let Meat find out you’re trying to be a bikini model again though…[/quote]

Lol. Well i have my wedding/honeymoon in a couple months and want to be in better shape for it. Plus ive been playing softball again and thats motivation to get in better shape. My belly has gotten too big for my liking.

Chris. As for what you were saying about numbers going down through leverages etc ya i know that plays a role. I dont think my deadlift will take much of a hit… i hope not anyway. With a bit of a belly now i feel like its harder to get in a good starting position. Bench is my weakest lift so i expect it will drop some with the loss of size.

Im going to start a log. We have a meet in 9 weeks so this will be a good experiment to see how strength rebounds.

Thanks guys

BTW, I just used the Intermediate workouts when I did it…The advanced workouts, while challenging, include some exercises that I found unnecessary/silly (overhead squats, handstand pushups, etc.)…I thought the intermediate was perfect–you might want to do a hybrid of the two…

Have fun on the honeymoon man…and congrats on the big day…if you need any advice, you know how to find me (with the V-Diet obviously, i offer no advice for marriage :slight_smile: )

Word, thanks man. I just looked at the intermediate and I like the looks of it a lot more.