Biotest

4th annual V-Diet - Back to old school V-Diet

Day-1 in progress. Still waiting for my HOT-ROX, which are on back order. I’m feeling a little hungrier than expected this morning - not sure if it’s mental b/c I don’t have my Hot-Rox!

I did a 50 minute walk this morning. Problem with doing the V-Diet in March in New England is the weather. It was 35 degrees, with an inch of slush on the ground, a 22 mph wind, with a combo of snow and rain - FUN STUFF! I had to walk in my Timberland boots and I’ve got some good blisters on my heels to prove it.

I’m going old school this season. The folks at Biotest probably won’t be happy to hear that I’m doing it without Superfood, Leucine or Flameout. This being my 4th annual, I’ve tried each time with different combinations of supplements.

THE BASICS:

The constants for me for all 3 previous V-Diets are:

• Metabolic Drive
  • Surge
  • Flax Seed
  • HOT-ROX
  • Fiber Choice
  • Mutli-vitamin
  • Morning walks

FATS:

I’ve used different oils (Udo’s, Carlson’s, Flameout). Flameout is fine, but this season I’m using Carlon’s again. I like the lemon flavor in my shakes.

SUPERFOOD & LEUCINE:

I’ve done the diet twice without Superfood and Leucine. I added it last year and there were no noticeable differences from the 2 years when I didn’t use them. They’re out this year mainly due to budget.

TRAINNG:

I’ve also used slightly different training styles. The first was like Chris’s original V-Diet, the second time was similare to the first, and last year I used the Waterbury methods prescribed for V-Diet 3.0. No significant difference.

In Chris’s original V-Diet article his original hypothesis is… “Any non-wussy weight training consisting of compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, dips, bench presses, rows and pull-ups will do the trick”. My experience validates that original statement.

In November 2009, I started doing Wendlers 5/3/1 program and I’m really liking the strenght and size gains, so I’m continuing that through the V-Diet this year. The only change is that I’ll make each day full body by mixing lower body exercises with the assistance lifts on Bench Press and Shoulder press days, and I’ll add upper body exercises with assistance lifts on Squat and Deadlift days.

Having said all that, I’d recommend using the V-Diet3 as prescribed - especially if you’ve never done it before or have any specific or preferred training method. Chris is the expert not me. It’s possible that the V-Diet 3.0, as written, has a better chance of working for a larger variety of people. All I’m doing is sharing my experience.

I’ll be posting at least once per day. It really helps stay focused.

BTW, when I finished the V-Diet last year I was 5’ 8", 162lbs, ~13% BF. Now, I’m at 177 lbs and almost 20% BF. My goal is to get back where I was. I actually had to buy new pants after Xmas. I want to throw them away!

Hey man, couple questions: Am I reading correctly that you are doing 4 workouts a week? I was thinkin about using 5-3-1 for my next V-Diet coming up here in April (did it around the same time last year using Waterbury workouts), but I was consiering eliminating OHP day and just working out 3 a week (maybe doing OHP on one of the lower body days).

Either way, I’m curious as to see how 5-3-1 works for you while V-Dieting. I saw a couple guys that did it say that it was awesome, and they actually gained strength, while at least one said that it was way too much and it kicked their ass.

My other question is: Are you sure you’re b/f measurements are right? I don’t mean to take a shot at you here, but if you went from 162/13 to 177/20, you’ve gained 15 pounds, and only 1.5 of that was LBM. I really hope that’s not the case.

Wow! You didn’t tell me you were a veteran at this, I really need to keep on my game now.

Nice to have you aboard again…maybe I can learn something from watching your log. On day 10 myself.

Good luck to you.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Hey man, couple questions: Am I reading correctly that you are doing 4 workouts a week? I was thinkin about using 5-3-1 for my next V-Diet coming up here in April (did it around the same time last year using Waterbury workouts), but I was consiering eliminating OHP day and just working out 3 a week (maybe doing OHP on one of the lower body days).

Either way, I’m curious as to see how 5-3-1 works for you while V-Dieting. I saw a couple guys that did it say that it was awesome, and they actually gained strength, while at least one said that it was way too much and it kicked their ass.

My other question is: Are you sure you’re b/f measurements are right? I don’t mean to take a shot at you here, but if you went from 162/13 to 177/20, you’ve gained 15 pounds, and only 1.5 of that was LBM. I really hope that’s not the case. [/quote]

No - I’m only doing 3. I’m doing the 4 workouts in a M, W, F, M cylce, if ya know what I mean. So, it’s Squat-Mon, Bench-Wed, Deads-Fri, Shoulder Press-Mon, then repeat. That’s funny, b/c I was thinking about mixing OHP and deads to convert to 3 days. In the 532 article discussion someone asked about the rotation and the author suggested the 4-day.

I am also curious to see how 531 works with VDiet! LOL! It’s a strenght building routine, so why not? I’ll decrease the rest on the assistance lifts to add a little cardio.

No worries on the measurements. They are ballparks, and I never really did the math that carefully to see how bad off I was, but yeah - that sounds right. After the VD I transition the daily walks to jogging then running. I was running 4-5 miles per day and eating more. Then I had a foot injury in October - right in time for football season and holiday eatinga and drinking - that really put the icing on the cake.

Like Chris says, when you have fat guy genetics it’s remarkably easy to put the weight back on. Thank God for the VDiet!

Thanks rrfisher and johnsone123 for the welcomes. Blogging and sharing is a HUGE help in staying on track. I lok forward to working with you all!

Day 2 1/2 - Down 3.8 lbs as of this morning. No %BF loss though - too soon for that. Lifting days are great - 5 MDs + 1 Surge makes 6 total shakes. Looking forward to tonights workout.

That’s great! I haven’t checked my weight and I am kind of nervous about it. Have fun on your workout tonight.

I recommend checking every morning first thing. I usually get up, swalllow a small cup of black coffee, go for a walk, then jump on the scale. It’s really motivating to see the pounds drop off!

Major bummer! Worked out last night doing bench press. Got to the final heavy set. Shooting for 5+ reps with 195 and only got 4. I had nuthin’ in the tank! In previous workouts in my last cycle I did 190x6 and 200x5, so I was bummed that I could’t get 5 reps for 195.

The other thing is that I had an M-Drive shake about 45 minutes prior to the workout and I still felt a little bloated. I think that slowed me down too. Oh well - see what happens next time.

Half way through day 5. As of this morning I was down a total of about 5 lbs. No significant %BF change though. That’s ok - that’s how it starts. I guess 5 lbs in 4 days isn’t bad!

Today was an easy day. Drank a lot of coffee at work and I’m wired. It’s 5:25pm and I’ve only had 2-1/2 shakes so far. It’s time for the next full one but I don’t want to get bloated for my dead lift workout tonight and I’m not even hungry. I’ve been drinking about 8 oz of some kind of liquid after each shake and it makes me really full. No real cravings yesterday or today and the best part is that I get to EAT tomorrow!

Problem is that it’s time for the weekend - the hardest part of this diet. Fortunately, the weather will be in th 50s tomorrow for the first time in months, so there’s opportunity to get out of the house, stay busy, and hopefully get through the day relatively hunger free.

Tonight’s workout will be interesting. Wendler’s 5/3/1 Deadlifts and I’m doing the 5-rep part of the cycle. Looking forward to it!

Day 6: Saturday - Almost gone! Slept late, went for an hour walk around 10:00. Didn’t have my first shake until 11:30. Did some chores around the house and then enjoyed the first nice weather in months - 50 deg - by cleaning up the yard - raking leaves and talking a walk with my kids - good NEPA! Didn’t have the 2nd shake until about 5:00. Taking the fam to a local restaurant for dinner where I’ll probably have a grilled salmon salad with lime vinaigrette dressing - yummy and a pefect HSM. Then I’ll one more shake before bedtime.

And I’m down another full pound from yesterday - 5 day total loss is 6.2 lbs.

BTW, I cancelled my back order of HOT-ROX. Don’t need’em. Just drinking a lot of strong coffee!

That is great, down 6.2 pounds! How did Sunday go? Stats? The shakes sometimes make me feel sick, does that happen to you? Keep up the good work!

Sunday was ok. Definitely harder than Sat cuz it’s like starting over again. Yeah - there’s been a few times where I feel like I have to force them down and I could yak one back up but not so bad that it’s a problem.

As of today, Fri AM, the loss has slowed dramatically. The %BF readings haven’t really changed since I started, so I’m disappointed.

A few notes & changes:

1. I notice a real strength loss. As a result I just switched 2 days ago to the prescribed Waterbury workouts for V-Diet-3.0 and I’ll scrap 5/3/1 until after. The WB workouts are harder than I remember, they’re more dense (more work in the same time) and more cardio intense - I wanted to puke after a meduim load of 40 reps of squats.

2. I looked back at the V-Diet-1.0 calculations and the calorie calculations are ~100 cals less. There was no PB back then, so I’m cutting it out. My goal is to reach 165 lbs, and it’s feeling like at this rate I’m not getting there. Progress seems slower than previous years.

3. I finally got my HOT-ROX. We’ll see if those help. I had to buy them elsewhere - they were $10 cheaper and arrived in 1 day w/o paying express shipping! Sorry Biotest - drop your prices and keep your stuff in stock - what can I say!

That’s all for now. Off for another lovely AM walk - rain in the forecast for the next 3 days - UGH!

Hey man, I see that you dropped 5-3-1 in favor of the Waterbury workout. That is discouraging to me, as I had planned to do it with 5-3-1 when I start again here in a couple weeks. Were you feeling like shit, or just discouraged about your loss of strength, or what?

Also, did you get the HOT-ROX from the place I recommended? Or did you find them cheaper? If you found them cheaper, I better be gettin a PM! haha

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Hey man, I see that you dropped 5-3-1 in favor of the Waterbury workout. That is discouraging to me, as I had planned to do it with 5-3-1 when I start again here in a couple weeks. Were you feeling like shit, or just discouraged about your loss of strength, or what?

Also, did you get the HOT-ROX from the place I recommended? Or did you find them cheaper? If you found them cheaper, I better be gettin a PM! haha[/quote]

Hey, I thinnk I got them at the place you recommended. There were a lot of places that had them, but I felt more confident ordering from a place that was recommended by someone, i.e. you. The regular HOT-ROX were really cheap - like $18 per bottle. Fewer servings but not that many fewer.

Re the 531, I had been doing that since November, and progressed nicely. On my last cycle, my bench press numbers for the heavy set on each day were something like 190 x 8, 195 x 6, and 200 x 3. The first week of the diet was the first day of the next cycle the heavy set was supposed to be 195 x 5+. I barely got 4 reps. Then doing military a few days later, the same type of thing happenned.

The main risk/problem I see with 531 is the frequency. I was doing a 4 day rotation. A 4 week cycle would be: Week 1-(M,W,F,M), Week 2-(W,F,M,W), Week 3-(F,M,W,F), and 4 days per week on deload week 4-(M,T,Th,F). That way each cycle always starts on a Monday and actually takes 5 weeks. So each major lift & assistance only got done once every 8 or so days.

I was also using longer break periods - about 2 minutes - sometimes a little longer. You want this if stength is your primary goal - you want to recover ATP for each lift. Due to the length of the workouts, and the focus on a single lift, lots of body parts didn’t get worked frequently enough and there’s little if any cardio affect.

With the Waterbury workouts, you hit every muscle group 3 times per week. The rest is short, the work is grueling in a different way. On Wednesday I did med load squats (40 reps over 6 sets with 45 sec. rest) and I wanted to puke up my M-Drive. And my legs and gluts are still sore. I really have to agree with the authors - this is more suitable on such a calorie and carb restricted diet.

Make sense?

Day 27.

Total weight loss: 13 lbs (187 down to 165) - I’m 5’8" and 45 years old.
Body fat loss (avg of Tanita and Omron): 2.3%
Total fat lbs loss: 6.5 lbs
Total LBM loss: 6.5 lbs
Waist size loss: about 3 inches.
I can wear myt size 32-34 pants again - I was in 34-36 before I started.

Starting transition next week.

I’ll be eating 1 meal per day. Mostly lunch. Mostly chicken breast or tuna with salad veggies and home made extra-virgin olive oil/balsamic vinegar & garlic dressing. Maybe some cannellini bean for fiber and low GI carbs. All other meals will be Metabolic Drive. I’ll continue HOT-ROX and Carlson’s fish oil.

The following week, I’ll have lunch and dinner. Dinner will be lean protein and real veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard, spinach, rapini, etc. I’ll stay away from fruit for a while and I’ll refrain from alcohol as much as possible. That’s hard on weekends from a social perspective. I’ve been able to hibernate during the VDiet but it’s going to be hard during the spring and summer. Especially with Easter and some big social events I have planned. UGH!

I’ll be increasing cardio from a mix light jogging and walking to more jogging and less walking. In the 2nd transition week I’ll eliminate walking altogether.

I’ll stick with V-Diet recommended weight training.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.