Biotest

46 and Getting Fit Again

Former college football player. I’m 6’3", played at 280 and got down to 220 at one point when I was done playing. I bounced around between 250 and 280 for a decade or more, then quit working out. After 5+ years of fairly heavy drinking, bad eating habits and no exercise, I’m up to a ridiculous 350. Fortunately, my health is still ok but I’ve had enough of the fat life. Lol.

I’m FINALLY committed to getting fit again. I’m not all that concerned about the scale but I’ve gotta drop a minimum of 100 if I’m gonna get back in shape. I’ve been rowing daily and my cardio/endurance is improving rapidly. I started interval training today (300m, 60 secs/200m 90 secs - 10 intervals) and plan to sick with that for my cardio (reducing the rest interval as my fitness improves).

I also start cross-fit Feb 1. I’ve completely quit drinking (until I get fit); and, thus far, I’ve been sticking to an Atkins induction phase type diet…around 20 carbs a day. I haven’t been on a scale but I can tell my body has started to change and, according to the ketostix I’m doing a pretty good job of staying in ketosis. I’m looking for advice on supplements and more.

In reading the forum it sounds like Plazma and Hot-Rox might be a good start. Is that right? If not, please advise. If so, what impact will Plazma have on my ability to stay in Ketosis? Any other advice is welcome and appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you’re getting back on track, man. Great to hear. There’s plenty of work to do, for sure, but I’d suggest figuring out specifically what “in shape” means to you. If it’s a bodyweight/bodyfat/visual goal, squatting a certain number for certain reps, a mile (or a 40-yard) time, whatever. You’ve got big ground to cover, but I always like the idea of setting specific goals to help guide the big picture plan.

Also consider checking out the Over-35 Lifter forum. Plenty of those guys have experience you might relate to and may be able to give you more tips to help figure out a plan of attack.

Plazma is definitely a great place to start. It’s basically the best workout nutrition that can help performance during the session and help recovery after. Hot-Rox, I think you can wait on. It’s plenty effective, but since you’re just getting started you can see solid results just by dialing in your training and nutrition. I prefer to keep fat burners as kind of a secret weapon if you hit a legit plateau along the way.

Something you could definitely consider adding soon, though, is Indigo-3G. It’s not a fat burner or thermogenic like Hot-Rox, but it can help improve your insulin sensitivity (basically teaching your body how to process carbs efficiently). Once you start reintroducing carbs (because you can’t/don’t want to function on 20g forever), Indigo will go a long way towards helping your body composition.

Most coaches agree that workout nutrition (the protein and carbs you have immediately before, during, and immediately after training) can be the most important nutrition of the day, so they prioritize that. Even if that means technically going out of ketosis, the benefits of harder training and faster recovery are pretty much worth it.

Basically, 20g carbs daily plus the carbs from Plazma (on training days only, obviously) will yield better overall results than 20g carbs daily and training without Plazma. And like I said before, you do eventually/soon enough want to get to the point where you’re giving your body plenty of quality carbs. Especially when you start doing intense CrossFit sessions, you’re going to be putting those carbs to good use.

After squeezing out some results from the induction-type diet you’re on now, even just riding it out until Feb 1, I’d transition to something like the 100 gram carb cure with Indigo-3G. And then move to a nutrition plan even more comprehensive. This is one good, simple approach.

Awesome. The articles are fantastic and your suggestions are most appreciated. Thanks!

PLAZMA will really help with the quality of your training (especially if you are doing Crossfit training) and will also allow you to say on a lower carbs diet while still having enough fuel to perform well In he workouts.

To be honest few people can perform well on a low-carbs diet when doing Crossfit… especially when you are fairly heavy. PLAZMA will allow you to fuel your workouts, recover from them and maintain/build muscle while you are staying low carbs the rest of the day.

On a pure low carbs diet, without PLAZMA you will crash pretty fast. And the downside of that to fat loss (besides feeling like crap and have constant cravings) is that the lower your performance is in the gym (especially doing a Crossfit-style workout) the less energy you burn and the lower post-exercise energy expenditure you get.

ALSO… ketosis is not required to lose fat optimally and studies have shown that except for the initial adaptation phase, fat loss is not faster than a balanced diet over the mid/long term. I do believe that lowering carbs is a good way to lose fat fast but being in the physiological state called ketosis is not a pre-requisite for optimal progression.

PLAZMA timed pre and during workout might kick you out of ketosis or it might not (I’ve seen it both ways). Generally the longer you have been in ketosis, the less likely adding pre/during workout carbs is to kick you out of ketosis.

Ketosis is regulated by blood glucose levels. So in theory taking in carbs will elevate blood glucose levels which can take you out of ketosis. HOWEVER if you ingest he right amount pre and during workout these carbs will be burned for fuel so they might only lead to a transient elevation in blood glucose during the session; when the session is over (especially with a training approach like Crossfit that burns a lot of glucose for fuel) your blood glucose levels should be low enough to re-establish ketosis. I personally would not worry about it.

A supplement like INDIGO-3G could help you stay in ketosis by increasing insulin sensitivity which helps regular blood glucose levels (more of the glucose get sucked in the muscles). Taking in 5-10g of leucine after the workout might also help you get back in ketosis faster by increasing insulin production, which will lower blood glucose level (insulin is not always the enemy)… remember that ketosis depends on keeping blood glucose levels low.

There is a common approach to ketogenic diets called Targeted Ketogenic Diet in which carbs are taken in around workout time. The original work used post-workout carbs (which is suboptimal) because it was the way they did things back then. And subjects were able to stay in ketosis if no carbs were consumed for the rest of the day.

AND using carbs POST workout is MUCH morel likely to kick you out of ketosis than using carbs PRE and DURING the workout since in the later blood glucose levels will not rise up as much and for as long.

The caveat if you want to stay in ketosis when using a target ketogenic approach is that you cannot have a full refeed/carb-up at the end of the week like you can wih a regular keto diet. You would need to limit yourself to one carb meal per week, roughly 200g.

But remember that when on a lower carbs diet, it isn’t even necessary to stay in permanent ketosis to get maximum progression.

That is very helpful. Thanks!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.