Biotest

40th Birthday V-Diet Extravaganza

I am prepping for the V-Diet. Last weekend I purchased the V Diet Package 4. I need to purchase the flax seed and fiber capsules and then should be ready to go. I am at the end of a Conjugate Strength program that ends on May 18th and plan to start up on May 19th.

My background:

I was a professional cyclist for many years, won several national championships and even a couple of Olympic Trials. I was always a little chubby for a cyclist, but would get around 6% body fat for brief periods. Obviously, I didn’t do any upper body workouts and generally looked like a concentration camp victim.

It has been about ten years since I stopped racing, and got a job. I own my own business with fourteen employees, and it tends to be stressful with 60-80 hour work weeks. I don’t have any kids, so I can be about as selfish and self centered as I want. I do have a girlfriend that has been sick and she does require some care taking, other than that I am free of any responsibilities.

I have been lifting for about three years, thanks to an intro from crossfit (sorry guys – give me your beating now). My max squat (ass to grass) and deadlift are both at 375lbs. I am weak overhead, maxing out at 195lbs with anything over head. Curious to see how this diet effects my strength.

I have had my body fat tested in a dunk tank five times over the last three years and it has fluctuated between 16-19%. My last two body fat tests (1/19/2013 and 4/20/2013) showed 18.8% body fat. I plan to re-dunk at the completion of the V-Diet.

4/20/2013
166.1 lbs of Lean Body Mass
38.5 lbs of Body Fat

Let’s see what else. Can I say – I am looking forward to getting going on this. I have a little patellar tendonitis, that if it flares up again I will simply stop the final conjugate strength cycle and just start on the V-Diet.

Looking for any input or thoughts on anything that can help me to be successful with this.

This is going to be pretty painful if I can’t post the photos properly. They are oriented correctly on my computer, but when I upload the photos, they turn sideways…hmmm.

Today, I officially began the V Diet. I did 5 days of the vdiet lite – shakes for breakfast and before bed, with one or two healthy meals per day. My final meal last night was a tri-tip lettuce wrap and a beer.

Weight 203.6 lbs this morning. Took one HOT-ROX, at 9 am. It actually went okay. I tend to be sensitive to stimulants, but I have to say it was a pretty smooth experience for me.

Like everyone else before me, so far the first day was pretty easy. I know the difficult part comes in about ten days.

I will post better pics and my measurements over the weekend.

Here we go!

Good luck!! Keep us posted!

Day two in the books. Got 45 minutes of NEPA yesterday. I worked out a little this morning. Thought I could do some heavy deadlifts and muscle ups, unfortunately I sucked at both. Weighed in at 201.4 lbs. Screwed up a bit on the timing of my shakes, my second shake of the day was in me by 8 am…it makes for a long day when you make that mistake! Everything else is good. Took a second dose of HOT-ROX in the afternoon. Looking forward to the V Burn challenge this weekend.

Here are my starting measurements (pre 5 day Vdiet lite):

Height: 6’1
Weight : 204
Neck: 16.5"
Shoulder: 49"
Chest (upper): 43.25"
Chest at nipple: 40.5"
waist (at navel): 38"
waist (widest): 38.5"
Hips: 42.5"
R Thigh: 25"
L Thigh: 25"
R Calf 16.25"
L Calf: 15.75"
R Ankle: 8.25"
L Ankle: 8"

Just finished my third shake of the day. I had a good morning with 1 hour NEPA, did some errands and then took a nap for three hours. Sleeping is the best way to get through this darn diet! This is my first weekend on the V Diet, and it is a bit of a trip. Generally, I enjoy eating and drinking on the weekends.

Weighed in at 199.0 lbs this morning, which means I have lost 5 lbs since I started. I would expect to lose another pound or two quickly and then watch things slow down. Obviously this is all water/glycogen weight so far.

I will try to get some more before photos up.

Here is one angle

Here is my back, sorry about my cat. She kept jumping into all of the photos!

And finally the side shot.

Wow. Looking at these photos, I look pretty darn soft. More motivation!

Day 4:
Today is Sunday. Just completed the V Burn. Its easy to underestimate the workout. It took me 44:24 on the intermediate level! Initially, I thought I could do the advanced in about that time, however after one round of handstand push ups, I realized it would be better to drop it down a notch and go intermediate.

The other thing I have learned today, is to take a sixth shake on days I workout. Somehow, I misunderstood and thought I was only subbing Surge for Metabolic Drive. This makes more sense – add a shake on the days I workout.

I am having a little bit of a problem with my knee, but will try to follow the workouts as prescribed by T Nation. After reading through more of the boards, it seems like deviating from the plan is suicide. I don’t want to be one of those logs that just stops.

I have a pretty busy day today, so I should be okay getting through it. The phones are down at the office, so I will have to go in and work with our IT guys to get them up and running again. This, in addition to my usual Sunday workload. Normally, I would be upset that my Sunday is ruined…not the case with the V Diet! The glass is always half full, isn’t it!

Good work, keep it up!

Just to confirm, you should NOT add an extra protein shake on days you workout. You add a recovery drink, but not an extra shake. So, on a non-training day you drink 5 shakes evenly spaced throughout the day. On a training day, you drink the same 5 shakes evenly spaced, plus a Surge recovery after your training.

Thank you for the further clarification Robstein. That is what I meant to write, it just didn’t come out that way!

Day 5:

This one has been interesting to say the least. I did the workout.

OHS 115 lbs 7,7,6 (should go up in weight next week)
Ring Rows (BW) 5,5,5,5
Ring Dips (BW) 5,5,5,5 (should add weight next week)
Abs

Been kinda light headed all day. Unlike a lot of other people that have said Day 5 was no problem, this feels really weird. My head is just a little off. Lost my balance a few times today. Drinking my fourth shake of the day right now, then off for some NEPA, and then my final shake and some sleep. I am really looking forward to the almond butter that I am going to put into the last shake of the day.

I haven’t had any food cravings, just this weird feeling. I am assuming it goes away in a few days, maybe my body gets accustomed to metabolizing protein and fat instead of carbs? Not sure.

On another front, I have lost six pounds since the start. I would assume anything from this point forward that I lose will be fat. Most everything I have lost to date is most likely water and glycogen.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings!

Thank you for the further clarification Robstein. That is what I meant to write, it just didn’t come out that way!

Day 5:

This one has been interesting to say the least. I did the workout.

OHS 115 lbs 7,7,6 (should go up in weight next week)
Ring Rows (BW) 5,5,5,5
Ring Dips (BW) 5,5,5,5 (should add weight next week)
Abs

Been kinda light headed all day. Unlike a lot of other people that have said Day 5 was no problem, this feels really weird. My head is just a little off. Lost my balance a few times today. Drinking my fourth shake of the day right now, then off for some NEPA, and then my final shake and some sleep. I am really looking forward to the almond butter that I am going to put into the last shake of the day.

I haven’t had any food cravings, just this weird feeling. I am assuming it goes away in a few days, maybe my body gets accustomed to metabolizing protein and fat instead of carbs? Not sure.

On another front, I have lost six pounds since the start. I would assume anything from this point forward that I lose will be fat. Most everything I have lost to date is most likely water and glycogen.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings!

Day 6:

Just got home from work. Today was much easier. I do notice things are pretty easy in the morning and then I run out of mental juice in the mid afternoon. I kept trying to calculate a payment to one of our vendors, and I had to do it over and over, each time with a different mistake. Finally, I had to take step by step notes of so that I could find where I was making a mistake, and then correct it and go forward until I made the next mistake.

I might try to do the workout tomorrow after work, so I don’t run with a high metabolism all day at the office.

Evenings are pretty easy for me. I try to have two shakes, one when I come home and one right before bed. Then I just lock myself in the bedroom upstairs for the night. The evening NEPA is actually relaxing.

We have a company open house on Thursday night (two nights from today). I will be overdue for my HSM, but would rather not indulge and push it til the weekend (Day 10/11) for my HSM. That way I can really enjoy it.

We’ll see.

Day 7:
Weighed in at 197.4 lbs (-6.6lbs from start)

Did my 45 minute NEPA early this morning. It felt really good. Unfortunately, today was extremely draining at the office and I am just coming home and it is after 7 pm, so no lifting for me today. I am bummed about that. I will have to hit it first thing tomorrow morning. Only took on HOT-ROX today, as I got too busy to take my second dose.

I have a HSM coming, but hope to make it to the weekend. Tomorrow is our company open house. I could make an HSM out of the catered food, but would prefer to wait until the weekend to really enjoy it. Either way, tomorrow will be a bear, at least 12 hour work day.

I am looking forward to taking my measurements when I have the chance. I would like to see how the measurements change once the weight loss stabilizes.

Day 8:

Holy easy pull-ups! I am shocked at how easy the pullups were this morning. I did nine strict unbroken, and stopped simply because I was so shocked. I think I can probably hit 11 or 12. The rest of the workout was uneventful – just deadlifts, push press, and toes to bar.

Work was nuts, it was a 13+ hours and I definitely got tired at the end. I missed a shake, and probably will just go without. I know I am supposed to have five shakes, but the timing was just off today and I don’t think I can fit in one more.

On the positive side of things, I did make it through the open house without any food or alcohol. I spent four hours mingling with clients with just a Perrier in my hand. I paid for some great food and alcohol for our clients and employees – but I couldn’t eat any of it! The irony of the situation certainly wasn’t lost on me.

Tomorrow, I will start researching my first HSM which I will probably eat on Saturday. I think the best would be going to a Ruth Chris Steakhouse, or Morton’s. I want to really enjoy the food and reward myself for being so disciplined.

Day 9:

Weight: 195.8lbs (-8.8 lbs)

Just finished 50 minute NEPA. I am still gassed from yesterday’s hectic day. I thought I might get in a workout, but I am drained from yesterday. I am about to enjoy my fifth and final shake. I also purchased some Alpha Male, Z-12, and Brain Candy. Thought I might experiment with them while I am doing this, or just after I complete it.

Tomorrow will be my first HSM. I can’t wait. I am going to take my folks out for dinner. We generally break bread together, so this is probably the best time to catch up with them. I haven’t told them that I am doing this, and probably won’t. They would think I am being crazy or unsafe.

I am hoping for a nice long sleep tonight. The longer you sleep, the easier this diet gets.

Sounds like things are going well, way to resist the temptation at the open house! Those can be tough for sure.

Z-12 works great. I’ve had sleeping troubles for a very long time but never wanted to take pills you could get hooked on. I’ve been using Z-12 for a few months now, it doesn’t make me feel groggy like an ambien would, it’s just very solid sleep. Alpha Male is also a great addition, I’ve taken it many times and am currently taking it again. Not sure if you’re on HOT-ROX for the v-diet, if you are I think Biotest recommends not using both at the same time. Some people have commented that they’ve used both and have been fine, I usually cycle back and forth when needed.

Good luck, keep it up!

Thanks for the tip on Alpha Male and HOT-ROX. You seem to know your supplements. I am taking HOT-ROX, but only one or two pills a day. I don’t think I have taken two pills at once yet. Maybe next week. I will back off on the Alpha Male til after the V diet.

I took the z-12 for the first time last night, along with another sleep supplement called deep sleep. I slept fairly well. I will try just the z-12 tonight and see the difference. I often have trouble sleeping. Falling asleep is relatively easy, its the 2 am wake up and can’t fall back asleep again that kills me.

Thank you for all of your support.

Day 10:

HSM was awesome. Probably too awesome. Salad, steak, spinach, and a little bit of sweet potato. I ordered a Coors Light with dinner and a coffee with Bailey’s after. No dessert. A more decadent meal than most, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

The workout this morning was good. The weights I use are still pretty light, compared to what I would normally do. I think it’s the short rest periods between sets that make it difficult. Oh yeah, and the lack of carbs. I did my front squats at 155lbs, and my push press at 135lbs. It seems like I would do sets of five with at least 20lbs more for each exercise under normal circumstances.

All in all, an easy day on the diet. Not sure if I will be able to get in the last shake of the day. I’ll give myself a few hours and see how I feel.