Biotest

300's V-Diet Log

Here’s my story. I’m to fucking fat. end of story!

For those of you who like the raw raw make you feel good shit, read the next three paragraphs. If you’re like me and could give a shit, then skip down three paragraphs and keep reading about the diet.

My weight gain took a very long time (like 20 years) to gain weight (can you say whale) and I finally got fed up with being fat. I threw down the potato chips, got my ass off the couch, and started to do something about it. The first thing I did after getting up off the coach is went over to the computer and sat down. After a couple of google searches I ran across T-Nation (thank you lord) and read for an entire weekend.

On Sunday afternoon I went out and bought an Olympic weight set, some dumbbells, a couple of kettle balls, and an elliptical machine. Best money spent, ever!

I don’t know the exact weight I started at because my scale at the time only weighed to 300 lbs. Frankly, I hadn’t been able to weigh myself on that thing since, well lets see, I think Los Angeles lost two football teams that year. My starting weight had to be somewhere around 375-385 lbs. I’m 45 years old and '5 11". My new scale tells me I have about 43% body fat.

I had a terrific start in weight training. My strength increase significantly during my beginning weight training period going from a max of 75 lbs (yes I know that is pathetic) to about 175 lbs at the beginning of the 2008 summer. However, I also noticed a falloff in weight loss, and I experienced a stall after about six months of training. I went from my beginning weight to about 340 lbs at the beginning of the summer.

After a very lazy summer, and fall, with intermittent training, I bloated back up to 350lbs. In mid November 2008 I started training again regularly and really cleaned up my diet. The last 30 days before the V-Diet I had been following one of Thib’s carb restricted diets.

My V-Diet began on February 15th. The beginning weight was 335 lbs (330 three days before but gave myself the weekend to eat carbs before V-day and I gained 5 pounds). I have not taken any measurements but will do so and post in the near future. I plan to continue the V-Diet through March 30th. This will be followed by the two week acclimation diet suggested by Shugart. The diet will look like this:

The components
EAS high quality blended protein (no I’m not using Grow!)*
Alpha Male**
Fish Oil Capsules
Organic Sprouted Flax Seed
Multi Vitamin
Vitamin C
Biotest Creatine
Biotest BCCA’s

• My son is also doing this diet with me to prepare for spring football (college) and he is using Grow!, and taking HOT-ROX, along with the creatine, and the BCCA’s, and the other suppliments. With two of us on the V-Diet I need to keep the diet affordable. So I volunteered to use the EAS blended protein which we get at Costco for a great price.

** Alpha Male has fat loss properties and I like the side effects in the bedroom so I’m sticking to these green monsters.

Non Heavy Workout Days
5 protein drinks totaling 371g of protein and 1,960 calories.(Revised and reduced to 325g of protein with 1,680 calories)
25 fish oil capsules for 250 calories
4 scoops of organic spouted flax for 80 calories
This gives me a total of 2,290 calories (Revised total is 2,010 calories).

Heavy Workout Days
5 protein drinks with 405g of protein and 2,100 calories (Revised and reduced to 351g of protein with 1,820 calories)
25 fish oil capsules for 250 calories
4 scoops of organic sprouted flax for 80 calories
1 poor mans energy/recovery drink (G2 Gatorade w/one scoop protein 27g) taken 1/2 during workout and 1/2 post workout, 190 calories, includes drink and protein. (Eliminated from diet)
This gives me a total of 2,620 calories (Revised total is 2,150 calories).

My workouts will be 4 heavy weight training workouts 2 days upper body and 2 days lower body. The workouts are designed to help maintain strength, maybe even increase some, while on a carbs restricted diet. The training is a combination of deadlifts, squats, cleans, and bench. There are also 3 lighter training days of circuit training using lower weight with maximum reps in lower and upper body movements.

(Revised and removed the circuits below during this diet)
There is an optional circuit for abs, biceps, and tri’s I use for the third lighter training day. I’ve been following Christian Thibaudeau’s fast fat loss training program and will continue with this program. If energy to keep up with this program becomes an issue then I will either switch to using Surge or if needed switch to the intermediate Velocity training program by Waterbury found here in this forum.

I will do a NEPA walk 3 times per week for 1 hour and do a moderately strenuous elliptical program for 30 minutes 4 times per week (burns about 500 calories). (Revised and reduced the strenuous elliptical program; on days I do not NEPA walk I hop on the elliptical for 30 minutes of low intensity walking).

My goal is to loss 35 lbs in the six weeks I will be on the V-Diet. I will drop below 300 lbs.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Upper Body workout tonight
Bench 4x10 @ 155, 3x8 @ 165, 2x6 @ 170
Kettle Bell shoulder press 4x8 @ 26 lbs
decline sit ups 100
Elliptical moderately strenuous for 15 minutes

Good luck with this. I think you and I both know what Chris’ thoughts will be…

Good luck…not sure if you will hit those numbers in 6 weeks but good luck man, I have dropped 30lbs in 6 weeks with an extremely strict transition…But I used all the recommended supps and I did ONLY The recomended V-Diet Waterbury workouts with NO strenuous or even moderatly strenuos cardio…read up on the NEPA cardio if interested man.

[quote]jstirto wrote:
Good luck with this. I think you and I both know what Chris’ thoughts will be…[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement.
No I don’t think I do. What do you mean…know what his thoughts will be?

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
Good luck…not sure if you will hit those numbers in 6 weeks but good luck man, I have dropped 30lbs in 6 weeks with an extremely strict transition…But I used all the recommended supps and I did ONLY The recomended V-Diet Waterbury workouts with NO strenuous or even moderatly strenuos cardio…read up on the NEPA cardio if interested man.[/quote]

Thanks thaiclich. Great work on the 30 lbs. That’s encouraging. I’m not sure I’ll hit that 35 number either but its the goal I want to shoot for while on the diet. I know its a large number in six weeks and I’ll do all I can to make it happen.

Am I missing something in the workouts. In the velocity diet part I Shugart says “Any non-wussy weight training consisting of compound movements such as squats, deadlifts, dips, bench presses, rows, and pull-ups will do the trick”. My weight training is heavy (at least for me) and the movements fall into the above exercise categories. The only thing I don’t do is pull ups (I’m still to fat) and dips because I don’t have a dip station at home where I workout.

You made me curious about the workouts so I re-read part I of the diet and I do see the bifurcation of the recommended cardio, and what I was planning on doing. I’m going to eliminate the circuit training days, and completely eliminate the elliptical cardio. Thanks for picking this up. I’ll replace the circuits and elliptical workouts with a 30-60 minute NEPA walk.

Another thing he may have meant by Chris’ thoughts is about the protein and the lack of HOT-ROX. Also you are supposed to use Surge for peri and post workout. If I didnt calculate it wrong you should be eating 1700 calories on non workout days and about 2100 on workout days.(according to the formula for needing to lose over 35 lbs.)

Also I didnt see any natural peanut butter in your post. Also you need to use Metabolic Drive instead of Grow! for the protein. Just trying to be helpful, hope this doesnt come off as critical. I dont think the workout is as big an issue, as long as it isnt too much work.

[quote]taddpole wrote:
Another thing he may have meant by Chris’ thoughts is about the protein and the lack of HOT-ROX. Also you are supposed to use Surge for peri and post workout. If I didnt calculate it wrong you should be eating 1700 calories on non workout days and about 2100 on workout days.(according to the formula for needing to lose over 35 lbs.)

Also I didn’t see any natural peanut butter in your post. Also you need to use Metabolic Drive instead of Grow! for the protein. Just trying to be helpful, hope this doesnt come off as critical. I dont think the workout is as big an issue, as long as it isnt too much work. [/quote]

No worries, I don’t think you’re being critical at all. Thanks for the feedback. A couple of things. I might be using an out of date diet. The Velocity Diet I structured my diet from is the Part I & Part II article Shugart wrote. Is there another version of the diet somewhere?

I didn’t see anything in the original diet about natural peanut butter, heck I’d love to be able to add this to my shakes for the flavor alone. I have two of us on the V-Diet right now, my son and I, and I really can’t afford the Metabolic Drive and all the suppliments for two. I’m using the Alpha Male I have already, and my son is using HOT-ROX.

I’m no scientist but the protein I’m using is a blend of soy, whey, and cassein proteins with a full load of BCCA’s. We are also taking Biotest creatine & Biotest BCCA’s as an extra measure of muscle retention.

As for the workouts I could see from a re-read of the diet I need to par back on the cardio and remove the circuit training days while on the V-Diet. I’m now on day five and I can feel a reduced energy level. I haven’t been hungry, in fact I don’t even have a desire to eat, but if this energy drag is any indication of things to come then I suspect I’ll need ratchet down the workouts and cardio to conserve energy.

I usually run on 6-7 hours of sleep per night I think I’ll make sure i get a good 8 hours of sleep with a short nap in the PM’s which should also help.

Chris always talks about how if you’re not going to follow the diet to a T, then don’t call it the Velocity Diet. He is very adament about using Metabolic Drive for the protein source.

I think you should go for it and prove you can do it without, but Chris states people have a much lower success rate when not using MD.

I start on Sunday the 22nd, so we’ll have to keep in touch. Good luck.

Day 6 of the diet. I’ve been away and didn’t have time to post most of the week.

All is going well so far. Only minimal food related desires. Once when I was late getting home and 2 hours off my smoothie schedule, and another when I was reading an article in the paper about six premier Chef’s and how they stay fit while also eating/tasting the high end food they cook.

While away Tues - Friday I did a NEPA walk for 60 minutes each night, and used a hotel gym to lift on their machine weight system.

Last night when I got home I had a good weight workout.
Bench 2x10 @ 155, 3x8 @ 165, 2x6 @ 175, 2x4 @ 185.
4x25 body weight squats
2x50 decline sit ups
30 minutes mid level range elliptical

Today’s workout
Incline Butterfly’s 4x8 @ 25 lbs, 4x8 @ 35 lbs.

Kettle Bell shoulder press 6x8 @ 18 lbs, 4x8 @ 26 lbs

Hang Cleans 2x8 @ 135 lbs, 2x6 @ 155 lbs

Bicep 4x8 @ 50 lbs,

Tricep straight bar 4x8 @ 95

Squat and deadlift day tomorrow, yippeee! Oh, and weight in day.

Weigh-in week one 325 lbs; I lost 10 lbs.
My son’s weigh-in in week one was a loss of 12 lbs.

Sunday workout

deadlift 6x8 @ 135, 6x8 @ 155, 6x6 @ 185, 6x4 @205

back squats 6x6 @ 135, 4x6 @ 185, 4x6 @ 205, 2x4 @ 225

50 decline sit ups

Oh yeah, I had my weekly meal yesterday as a late morning breakfast. Grilled 10 oz steak with onions, mushrooms, yellow, orange, and red peppers sauted in olive oil. Large salad with cucumber, tomato, and mushrooms topped with a small salmon fillet. I used a homemade dressing of olive oil and balsamic vineger. And a bowl of steamed fresh brocolli. Ordinarily the salad alone would have been a great dinner/lunch. My mind was bigger than my stomach. I wasn’t able to finish all of the steak or the brocolli.

It really wasn’t that big of a deal. I had worked myself into an excited state of anticipation 24 hours in advance but in the end I didn’t feel anymore more satiated than with a smoothie. I also noticed I really didn’t get any comfort or joy out of the act of chewing and swallowing which I though would make a difference.

The thing that stands out the most to me from this meal is that after I ate a pretty good size yet healthy meal the only thing I could think of was getting into the garage and getting to the deadlift and squats workout I had planned for day. I did not feel a level of guilt for eating a good size meal but rather the big meal motivated me to work up a good sweat.

I’m really stoked with the ease of staying on the V-Diet, and after a week the results. I can’t wait to see what the next couple of weeks brings.

Kick ass work man. Keep it up. I’m on day 2 myself, had a great workout this morning. No hunger issues for me either so far. Stay motivated.

Stop on by and say hi sometime…

Upper body today. I felt a little worn down tonight so I backed off the Bench weights a little bit (I don’t have anyone to spot me in my garage) and eliminated kettle ball shoulder presses.

Bench 2x10 @ 155, 3x8 @ 165, 2x6 @ 175

Bicep curl bar 3x8 @ 50

Bicep db 3x10 @ 25

Tricep bb 3x8 @95, 3x6 @ 105

100 decline sit ups

30 minutes mid level low intensity on the elliptical machine.

Wow!!! you rock man!!! Your results are incredible :slight_smile:

Im also a beginner V-Dieter modified-whatever (not using all Biotest stuff)…your log keeps me motivated!!!

Keep it up!!!

PS: Have you been feeling any headaches the first days?

[quote]reesemortensen wrote:
Wow!!! you rock man!!! Your results are incredible :slight_smile:

Im also a beginner V-Dieter modified-whatever (not using all Biotest stuff)…your log keeps me motivated!!!

Keep it up!!!

PS: Have you been feeling any headaches the first days?[/quote]

rees-mort-sen, thanks.

I’m not trying to be an inverse rogue with my diet. I just happen to have certain budget constraints. With two of us on the diet at the same time using all of the other suppliments called for my the diet we needed to make it an affordable gig. My son is using Metabolic Drive but I am not. Other than that we’re using all the Biotest suppliments.

As for my training, I had already started a fast fat loss regimen by Thib’s and decided before reading Ver 2 or Ver 3 to remain on this training routine. I did modify the training to eliminate the circuit training.

I haven’t felt any type of dizziness. I think if I did I might monitor it to see if I was getting enough calories in me. In fact, I overshot the protein and calories, although not on purpose, the first three days of the diet. I was over by a pretty good margin. I revised the protein and calorie intake downward and still didn’t have any side affects. I can truly say I haven’t been hungry except when I stretch the time between meals more than about 5 hours. Today is day 9 and I don’t really have any food desires.

I have felt a little more tired than usual on a couple of occasions but this may very well be from work related stress. This fricken economy is brutal!

Keep up the good work 300, looking good 10 in a week (12 for your son) sounds awesome, I’m looking forward to those gains (losses?) as well.

Also, what was the weight your son started at? (sorry if I missed it above)

Keep us updated, your progress is motivational (except where you describe your HSM, that part is slightly distracting, making me salivate :stuck_out_tongue: ).

See you at the end! 26 more days for me!

[quote]canaduke wrote:
Keep up the good work 300, looking good 10 in a week (12 for your son) sounds awesome, I’m looking forward to those gains (losses?) as well.

Also, what was the weight your son started at? (sorry if I missed it above)

Keep us updated, your progress is motivational (except where you describe your HSM, that part is slightly distracting, making me salivate :stuck_out_tongue: ).

See you at the end! 26 more days for me![/quote]

Thanks for the support canaduke.

My son is in a regimented weight training program in preparation for football and had just gone through a bulking period. His playing weight is 235-240, he’s a big runningback more fullback, but he got up to about 272 on his bulk. He started the diet at 272 lbs. He needs to get within 10 lbs of playing weight by mid April. The rest will come off in the first couple of weeks of spring practices.

Man I hope you get some good numbers rolling of the scale too.

You gonna post some pics of you and the boy?

I think it’s cool yall are doing this together.
My dad’s too much older than me to work out with me or anything like that. He couldn’t hang anyway!lol

good work so far. Keep attacking this program.

Bad Timing

This diet is going better than I expected. Its easy to stay on and it doesn’t involve a ton of preparation (at the food part). I’ve been really impressed with the structure of the diet and the results.

Ok so here’s my dilemma. I’m in the private equity business, and with the world’s capital markets in meltdown mode this week I need to hit the road to go cull in more investor capital. While I usually travel a couple of times a year for several days at a time I don’t travel the way my partners and I think I need to travel due to this recent credit crisis.

In the last 24 hours I have compiled a travel itinerary that takes me to three stops in western Europe, one stop in Sweden, a stop in UAE, and then a stop in New York on the return trip. The trip is booked and will have me traveling 10 days in Europe and the UAE and 4 days between Boston and New York.

Throughout these travel days I have countless meetings scheduled. Unfortunately wealthy Europeans like to talk investment business over a meal; breakfast, lunch or dinner. In the day I’ve been working on this trip I’ve already scheduled 16 meetings that are either a breakfast, lunch, dinner or conference buffet. And I will continue to add more meetings as I’m able to speak with more potential investors.

There is no way in hell I can continue the v-diet (or my version thereto) while I’m on this trip. It would be unrealistic to think I could make this work while working this trip. I’m scheduled to leave for Boston on Friday morning for a brief visit with some family before I leave on the trip I really don’t want to take.

Today will need to be my last day on the V-Diet (or my version) as I’ll take my wife and kids out tomorrow for a family dinner and movie or something. In the 10 days I’ve been on the diet I’ve lost a considerable amount of weight. My weight this morning was 321 which means I lost 14 pounds in total.

While away I will resume my carb restricted diet I had been on prior to the V-Diet and get some training in at the hotel gyms.

I will start a new V-Diet again with an anticipated start date of April 1st or perhaps a little sooner.

Thank you to all who were encouraging and I wish you the best in your V-Diet goals.