Biotest

18 Months Later, Doing the V-Diet Again

On Wednesday, June 18th I will be starting the Velocity Diet again (Fed-Ex will deliver my stuff on Tuesday so I start Wednesday). A long time ago Dan John said something along the lines of train hard and once every 12-18 months do something like the V-Diet or JB’s Get Shredded diet. So here I am.

I did my first V-Diet in mid-November of 2006 as part of The FitCast challenge and it was challenging (see part of my story in Dan John’s newsletter here: http://danjohn.org/getup.html and read Volume Five, November Edition (!) of “Get Up!”). I had to go through Thanksgiving and Christmas parties at work but I had a goal in mind and I persevered. But there are a few things I will do differently this time.

First, last time there wasn’t a definite workout routine to follow so I just kind of made up my own. And I know that I skipped at least 2 or 3 workouts during the 28 days. Also the NEPA walks went from a daily routine to about 4-5 days/week at most. All that will change this time.

Secondly, the transition period was not defined like it is now and I can tell you that was a problem. My transition period was maybe 2 days long and it wasn’t much of a transition. So I’m looking forward to the 2-week transition this time.

Thirdly, last time I only drank the shakes with flax meal and nothing else. No variation other than different flavors of Metabolic Drive. So I’m looking forward to the addition of spices and non-calorie flavored syrups this time. And tea. Celestial Seasonings makes a great blueberry green tea which I think will help take the edge off at times. And believe me, if you haven’t done this before you might not know, but you’ll need something to take the edge off.

I used the formula to calculate my caloric needs (I weigh 177 lbs) and came up with 1342 on non-lifting days and 1610 on lifting days. So my daily food intake will consists of 8 scoops of Metabolic Drive (over 5 shakes), 4 Tbsp of flax meal, 2 Tbsp of natural peanut butter, 6 Flameout (or substitute if they don’t get back in stock before I run out), and 3 Fiber Choice tablets. That gives me the following:

…non-lifting days…lifting days
Calories 1312…1632
Protein 176…209
Carbs 52…101
Fat 46…50.5
Fiber 24…26

Initially I was a little concerned about the protein because I thought it was a little low. But if I made it 9 scoops of Metabolic Drive instead of 8 to raise the protein it put my calories at 1422/1742 so I’m going to leave it as is and supplement with BCAA (12 per day). And with 8 scoops over 5 shakes I’ll have 3 shakes with 2 scoops and 2 shakes with 1 scoop. So I’ll add the flax meal and/or peanut butter to those shakes to make up for the lost calories.

Here are my measurements taken this morning (Saturday, June 14th). Even though I’m not starting until Wednesday my solid meal days will be Saturday so I wanted to take the measurements today. Not sure if it matters since the first week results will actually be 11 days worth of dieting instead of 7 but oh well.

Height: 67 inches (5’7)

BF: 18.8 % * (see note below)

Weight: 177.8 lbs

Largest part of belly/love handles: 37.0 inches

Upper leg: (L) 21.5 ® 21.75

Calf: (L) 14.75 ® 14.5

Chest, nipple line: 40.5

Upper abs: 36.5

Shoulders: 46.5

Upper arms: (L) 14.125 ® 13.875

Neck: 15.5

• I don’t have any way to measure my bodyfat so I used the Omron BF tester. I know it’s probably not accurate but from everything I’ve read it is close and if nothing else it is at least consistent so you can tell when your BF % is going up or down.

Front picture. And I purposely had my shorts a little lower than normal because I wanted to be able to see the love handles.

My right shin looks weird because it is wrapped in a bandage. Long story short, a 45lb weight was dropped on my shin last week and it scraped all the skin off in a spot so I have to keep it covered and hope the skin grows back.

One last thought, I sure look a lot more cool in my clothes…lol. But that’s why I’m doing this, so I can look good naked (and no, I won’t post that!).

Back.

And side.

Ok, I’m impatient and anxious to get this kicked off so I’m starting tomorrow (Monday) instead of waiting until Wednesday. I have enough Metabolic Drive to last two days (although only one flavor) and I have some HOT-ROX Extreme (it’s from GNC but still Biotest and I think it’s the same thing, although my official Biotest version will be here Wednesday) so I’m starting tomorrow.

Day 1

I should have known that something would come up today because it seems like whenever I do something good for myself there is always some kind of adversity that tries to take me away from my goal. But it has yet to beat me.

So I decided to start today and kind of started last night as I had a shake for my last meal of the day. Then I went to bed and laid there forever. I could not fall asleep to save my life. I even took 3 Z-12 but it didn’t phase me at all. Then to top it off I had a motorcycle safety course all day today so I had to leave my house at 6:30 am.

By 1 or 2 AM I was getting pretty hungry and was tempted to go get something to eat since technically I hadn’t started yet. But I decided against it. I finally got to sleep sometime between 3 and 3:30am and my alarm went off to wake me up at 5:30am. I got up and went for a 30 minute walk, made my shakes for the day and went out the door.

The day went fine although I was pretty hungry and at times getting light-headed from being out in the sun. And the class lasted longer than I anticipated it would so I didn’t bring enough shakes. I ended going about 5 hours between shakes this afternoon although I did have 4 BCAA and 3 fiber tablets which actually tasted very good because I was so hungry.

Got home around 6pm and had my 4th shake of the day and collapsed on the couch. I wanted nothing more than to go to bed but I knew I had to get to the gym today. Got to the gym and did the following workout:

The following exercises supersetted with 30 seconds rest:
Wide-grip pullup 7 x 3 @ -4, -4, -4, -4, -4, -3, BW (BW=body weight)
Deadlift 7 x 3 @ 185 (all 7 sets)
Dip 7 x 3 @ -3, then BW for the last 6 sets

Side plank holds 2 x 45 seconds (total of 4 when counting both sides)
Swiss ball crunch 3 x 20
Treadmill 15 minutes at incline of 2.5 - 8 min @ 4.0, 7 min @

A couple of notes about the workout. Then negative numbers are because I used the assisted pullup machine. I bruised my ribs at jiu-jitsu a couple weeks ago and they are still sore and the pull-ups kind of hurt them a bit so I’m taking it a little easy. I also should have went heavier on the deadlifts. Finally, I added the swiss ball crunches because I think CW said we could add 5 minutes of whatever at the end.

That was day 1. I’m going to go take a shower and have my last shake and hopefully get to sleep early tonight.

Day 2

So far day 2 is going better than yesterday. Still don’t know what’s up with my sleeping though. Was extremely tired last night (since I only had about 2 hours of sleep the night before) and went to bed around 10:30pm. But it took me until about midnight to fall asleep and I had to be up at 5:30 this morning. So I’m not exhausted like I was yesterday but still tired. Hopefully I’ll get to sleep earlier tonight, although if I don’t it’s ok because I don’t have to be anywhere until noon so I can sleep in if I have to. Once I get to sleep I’m fine, it’s just that getting to sleep seems to be a problem lately.

On another note, I got my shipment from Biotest today so I can have something besides chocolate shakes tonight :slight_smile: I think a vanilla shake with Superfood added in sounds good so I’ll give it a try.

Oh My God…let me just say that vanilla Metabolic Drive and Superfood make an awesome combination. Mixed 16oz of water, 2 scoops of vanilla Metabolic Drive, about 8 ice cubes and 1 serving (2 scoops) of Superfood in the blender and it was incredible. I’m going to eat this every day :slight_smile:

Day 3

A good day so far. I finally got some sleep last night (about 10 hours) so I feel much better. Got up at 10 and went for a 30 minute walk. Went to the gym at 2:30 for my first Wednesday workout and did the following:

Standing alt DB shoulder press 4 x 4 @ 40, 50, 50, 50 (per hand)
Alternating forward lunge 4 x 4 @ 155 (using loaded BB)
One-arm DB row 4 x 4 @ 50, 60, 60, 65 (per hand)

Overhead DB triceps extension 4 x 4 @ 65
Standing DB hammer curl 4 x 4 @ 40 (per hand)
Front squat 4 x 4 @ 155

Side plank holds 2 x 60 seconds

Swiss-ball crunch 3 x 20

I felt really good during this workout except I thought I was going to die during the side planks…lol. First my arm would start shaking then my body starts to shake until finally the timer goes off and I fall to the ground. I thought I might have to go to my knees for the second set but I didn’t and was able to do them correctly.

I’ll be going for another walk when my wife gets home from work but so far this is a pretty good day.

Day 4

Yet another night of laying awake. I went to bed at about 11:30 and couldn’t fall asleep until sometime after 2am. I’ve got to find a way to relax and get to sleep. I think now I’m compounding the problem though because I’m so worried that I won’t be able to fall asleep that I end up psyching (boy, not sure how to spell that one!) myself out. I’m about ready to try one of my wife’s Ambien just to get a good night’s sleep.

Anyway, got up at 8:30 and went for a 40 minute walk so at least the day is off to a good start :slight_smile:

i can’t fall asleep either. I think it may be the hot roxx. I lay in bed and sweat? lots of sacrifice for the results i guess

[quote]strictlysrt wrote:
i can’t fall asleep either. I think it may be the Hot-Rox. I lay in bed and sweat? lots of sacrifice for the results i guess[/quote]

what time are you guys taking the stuff? I have a tough time getting to sleep if I take it much past 1pm.

Are you taking ZMA? Works like a charm for me.

[quote]kakattack wrote:

what time are you guys taking the stuff? I have a tough time getting to sleep if I take it much past 1pm.

Are you taking ZMA? Works like a charm for me.[/quote]

The latest I’ve taken the HOT-ROX is 4pm but I usually take it earlier, typically around 1pm.

I am taking both ZMA and Z-12 thinking that the combination of the two would help but so far no luck. All I do is get the weird dreams once I finally fall asleep. The last two nights I dreamed about eating food…haha, imagine that.

In both dreams I would start eating something and suddenly remember that I was on the v-diet and wasn’t supposed to be eating it. Then I get mad at myself for messing up the diet until I wake up and realize it was just a dream :slight_smile:

One other problem with not being able to fall asleep…since I drink my last shake around 9 or 9:30, when I’m up until 2am I am absolutely starving by the time I fall asleep.

Day 5

First, I just wanted to bring up a few things/issues.

1. Sleep (or more accurately a lack thereof). I don’t know what is going on with my sleep lately but I hope it works itself out. My wife started on Ambien last night and I considered trying that but I decided against it for a few reasons.

Fist, I thought it would be irresponsible of me for both of us to be on it. If something were to happen in the middle of the night (we have three teenage kids so that’s entirely possible) it would be a very bad thing if both of us were too drugged up to do anything.

Secondly, I have read reports of people getting up in the middle of the night and doing things without remembering. So I didn’t want to take a chance of getting up and pigging out on food and ruining the diet. So last night I tried some melatonin. It was weird because it actually made me very tired but I still couldn’t fall asleep. I got to sleep around 1 or 1:30 but then woke up at 3:30, 6:15 and 7:30. Oh well, I may try to take lunch time naps to see if that helps with the fatigue.

1. I’m really torn about what to do about my Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class. I used to take kickboxing but just started this class about a month ago and really like it. But I know Shugart is very adamant about not doing any sort of active recovery or other physically taxing activities.

And when we spar in class, it is only three 6-minute sessions but I get very worn out and covered in sweat by the end so I have a feeling I should wait and just take the month off.

And I saw another thread where Chris told a guy not even to do bodyweight squats or pull-ups so I know sparring wouldn’t be approved either. So I guess I’ll take the month off, it’s just going to be hard because I feel like I’m being a slug (even thought I’m not!).

Anyway, day 5 is going good so far, no real problems. I was kind of tired earlier but then I had another shake and some superfood and hit the gym. And of course gym = chocolate Surge = amazing goodness :slight_smile:

So the workout today was interesting and I was cussing Chad Waterbury out the whole time…lol. Those 30 second rest periods seem so short. I have the countdown timer set on my watch so as soon as it starts beeping I start lifting. Here is how it went today:

DB Romanian deadlift 4 x 8 @ 150 (75lb DB’s in each hand)
Bench press 4 x 8 @ 155
Chin-up 4 x 8 @ BW (although did 8, 8, 6, 4 because I was at muscle failure)

Standing DB side raise 4 x 8 @ 30, 40, 40, 40 (20lb per hand)
Bent over BB row 4 x 8 @ 115, 125, 135, 130
Reverse crunch 4 x 8
Reverse lunge 4 x 8 @ 80 (40lb per hand)

Notes:

• next week I’ll either get a spot on the chin-ups or use the assisted machine for the last 2 sets.
  • I think I could have gone heavier on the side raises and lunges.
  • I didn’t feel the need to add any exercises this time…lol.
  • I ended up resting 16 minutes between A and B! Way too long, but part of that was trying to figure out what weights to use since this was my first time with this routine.

Got in a 40 minute NEPA walk this morning and I’ll go walking again tonight after my wife gets home. Oh, and btw, I think this week I will wait until Sunday for my HSM and weigh-in since I just started on Monday. I want one more day so that hopefully I get better first-week results.

Man, I really can’t wait until Sunday. I am soooo looking forward to the HSM. My daughter is in the kitchen making eggs, bacon and pancakes and I’m about to die…lol.

But Sunday I’m going to Ruby Tuesday and will have a sirloin steak, steamed broccoli and baby green beans. And I will also have a nice salad from the salad bar but I’ll leave off the cheese (even though I love cheese) and croutons.

I’ll try to make it with mostly greens, onions, peas, and whatever other veggies they have and top it off with olive oil and vinegar. I’m really hoping I can eat the broccoli because I can’t stand broccoli.

My mom made me eat it when I was a kid so now it really just repulses me. But if I can make myself like it I would be thrilled. Thought about trying the sautéed baby Portabella mushrooms instead of green beans but those sound disgusting (don’t like mushrooms either).

Day 6

Whew, I think today has been the hardest day so far. I don’t know why but for some reason I have been starving all day long. Maybe my body is using more calories today trying to recover from that awesome workout yesterday (I’m kind of sore today)…really don’t know, I just know I’ve been hungry.

I took my wife and my youngest daughter to Firehouse Subs this afternoon and I had to wait in the car because I didn’t want to go inside. But I was parked right next to a pizza place that has outdoor seating so seeing all the pizza didn’t help at all! And of course once we got home and they started eating it was horrible because those subs smelled so good.

Oh, and one other thing that might be bad, I don’t know. I was watching a show on one of the Discovery channels about salt (sounds boring but it was pretty good) and I got a terrible craving for salt. So I don’t know if it’s considered cheating or not but I took our sea salt grinder, ground some in the palm of my hand and licked it up. Damn that was good. I won’t do that again but I don’t think it’s going to derail my diet.

Anyway, it’s almost time for my last shake. I just got back from my second NEPA walk so I’m going to shower and have my shake and hopefully go to bed soon afterwards. Tomorrow is my HSM day and I’m looking forward to it like you wouldn’t believe. I’m also excited to weigh myself and take measurements in the morning…I hope the results are good!

Day 7 - Measurements and HSM day!

I was going to wait until towards the end of the day to post these but I’ll do it now instead. Took my first week measurements this morning and they look pretty good. I’ll post them in the order of last week, this week and the results in parenthesis.

Weight: 177.8 — 169.8 — (-8.0)

Belly: 37.0 — 35.75 — (-1.25)
Thigh ®: 21.75 — 21.0 — (-.75)
Thigh (L): 21.5 — 21.0 — (-.50)
Calf ®: 14.5 — 14.5 — (0)
Calf (L): 14.75 — 14.75 — (0)
Chest: 40.5 — 39.25 — (-1.25)
Upper abs: 36.5 — 35.5 — (-1.0)
Bicep ®: 13.88 — 14.25 — (+)
Bicep (L): 14.13 — 14.38 — (+)
Neck: 15.5 — 15.0 — (-.5)

Total inches lost for the week is 5.5! One anomaly is the biceps measurement. I don’t think that I actually gained muscle on my biceps, I think I had an off measurement last week. I had actually measured my biceps about a week before I started this because I was on a hypertrophy routine and wanted to know how much I had gained in my arms. At that time my left bicep was at 14.75 and the right at 14.5. So I was kind of surprised at the measurements last week. But I’ll leave them as is and just see how it looks next week. Overall though I’m quite pleased with the results. I’ve been following the program to a T, working hard in the gym and taking at least 2 NEPA walks per day and it seems to be paying off.

Ahhh…food. Just got back from my HSM and it was quite tasty. Went to McDonald’s and had a Bic Mac, large fries and a shake for dessert. LOL…ok, just kidding, I wouldn’t eat that no matter what diet I was on. We went to Ruby Tuesday as planned. I started with the salad bar and had a bunch of greens/baby spinach leaves, green peppers, onions, eggs, peas, carrots and a few pieces of ham. Topped it off with extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) and had some cottage cheese on the side. My original plan was not to eat any of it until my main meal arrived because I wanted to be starving when the broccoli got to me (I can’t stand broccoli so I wanted to be super hungry when I got it). But that didn’t work so well, I ate about 1/2 of it before my meal got there.

For the main course I had a 9oz top sirloin (cooked medium-rare), baby green beans and steamed broccoli. I ate about 1/2 of the broccoli and it wasn’t too bad. I think it’s mostly a mental thing because I was pretty neutral on the taste (didn’t necessarily like it but I didn’t dislike it either). Then the one bad thing is when I was done with the steak I went back for a small amount of baby spinach, onions and EVOO and about 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. I probably shouldn’t have had that last part I think. Oh well. One week down, three more to go :slight_smile:

Watching this with interest. Good luck mate :slight_smile: