Biotest

1 Biotest Supplement Choice

Hey guys. I consider myself a weekend warrior. When I am really into it however I train 4-6 days a week. I am 6 foot 218 pounds at about 15-18% body fat. Let my body go a little bit and trying to get back in the mode of lifting and getting in shape etc. I’ve wasted a lot of money on supplements in the past and probably haven’t focused enough on proper diet so I feel as though it was wasted money.

If you could recommend one supplement by Biotest for leaning out (mainly by “beer” belly) and building muscle what would it be? I’ve been thinking MAG-10 but not sure if the Metabolic Drive bars or a meal replacement would be a better option? Why can’t Biotest come out with another “MAG-10” ??( I know prohormones are banned but damn that was good stuff! )

One thing that everyone who trains hard needs is workout nutrition. Neglect that and you won’t be getting the most of your efforts. We have several choices there:

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma
<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/surge-recovery"target=“new”>Surge Recovery
<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/surge-workout-fuel"target=“new”>Surge Workout Fuel

You’ll build more muscle, have better workouts, and recovery faster. That will lead, of course, to fat loss as well.

But we have several supplements that fit into the “helps you build muscle and lose fat” category. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G for example. But taking care of workout nutrition is always a solid first step.

I always heard low carb for fat loss. Is Plazma still a better choice then Mag-10?

The type of carbs in Mag-10 and Plazma are thermic in nature, meaning you can’t store them as fat as you can, say, carbs from bread. Very different animals. And by properly fueling your workout and accelerating recovery you can train harder, longer, more often, and of course build muscle which is the ultimate long-term fat loss tool.

What some people do though is allot all their carbs to the peri-workout period, then go low-carb the rest of the day. That’s an effective plan if you prefer a lower-carb diet, but again, it’s hard to compare these carbs with whole-food carbs as the body treats them very differently.

Just got Plazma and really like it so far. Thanks for the Nalgene bottle as well, that thing is great!

One question I had. This morning I hit the gym about 20 minutes after waking at 5 a.m. I started drinking plasma right away, and finished the last of it about 10 minutes after my workout. How long should I wait for a whole meal, or should I eat one right away. John Meadows says he will wait about an hour. But i was just curious what you thought due to the odd time I lifted today, and being on an empty stomach as well.

Try to finish all your Plazma during your workout. You want it “in you” while training.

Roughly an hour is fine, but don’t sweat it. If you’re starved, eat.

For my 1000th post, I will put yet another shout out for what I consider the best supplement in existence today: MAG-10.
It is way more versatile than Plazma even, since you can add carbs to it.
It is a must supplement if you want to pulse feast or pulse fast…perhaps two of the best methods for “losing the chubs”.
Indigo is great too…BUT if there was only ONE supp to use as the OP asked, then I strongly think the answer is MAG-10 bar none.

My humble opinion of course.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
For my 1000th post, I will put yet another shout out for what I consider the best supplement in existence today: MAG-10.
It is way more versatile than Plazma even, since you can add carbs to it.
It is a must supplement if you want to pulse feast or pulse fast…perhaps two of the best methods for “losing the chubs”.
Indigo is great too…BUT if there was only ONE supp to use as the OP asked, then I strongly think the answer is MAG-10 bar none.

My humble opinion of course. [/quote]

buffd what kind of carbs do you add to it? Aren’t the carbs in Plazma specialized to intra workout? I’m not sure it would have the same effect if I added maltodextrin or something like that. What are your thoughts?

Jken81:

The highly branched cyclic dextrin in Plazma is the specialty carb being touted as the premiere carb for pre and intra workout periods…but you mentioned supplement singular…i.e. ONLY ONE. If one could only use a single supplement, for me it would have to be MAG-10. For workout period, really, ANY carb could technically be added (or eaten along side) MAG-10 pre-workout…and I personally think even MAG-10 by itself DURING the workout without any carbs has significant benefit.

Is it optimal? No…of course not. But one COULD manage without the premiere carbs. Before training, have some cream of rice with MAG-10. During training, take only MAG-10. After training, take MAG-10.

What one can’t really manage, in my humble opinion, is the one method that I truly believe is the singular most awesome way to lose fat but maintain lean muscle: pulse fasting or even pulse feasting. And this is best done with a formula like MAG-10.

So…MAG-10 can aid in fat loss and maintain lean mass…check.
MAG-10 can be combined with carbs prior to training and used during training to get as much out of the training period as possible…check.
You’re only taking one supplement…check.

Now, if you could use more than one supplement…that is a different question with a different answer.

Hey thanks for the advice. And you make a pretty good point. Maybe to save on money I will switch to MAG-10 and do some cream of rice or other carb before and after workouts.

Thanks again!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Try to finish all your Plazma during your workout. You want it “in you” while training.

Roughly an hour is fine, but don’t sweat it. If you’re starved, eat. [/quote]
Excuse my ignorance but since Plazma/MAG-10 is absorbed “instantly” and food takes hours, an hour seems a bit too long to wait?

[quote]jken81 wrote:
Hey thanks for the advice. And you make a pretty good point. Maybe to save on money I will switch to MAG-10 and do some cream of rice or other carb before and after workouts.

Thanks again![/quote]
Why limit yourself to one?
It would be hugely beneficial IMO to buy both, budget pending.
Limit Plazma to workouts. MAG-10 as required.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but since Plazma/MAG-10 is absorbed “instantly” and food takes hours, an hour seems a bit too long to wait?
[/quote]

You want the amino acid levels to peak (which takes probably 10-15 minutes) and then to drop (no idea how long that takes).

[quote]BiP wrote:

[/quote]

You want the amino acid levels to peak (which takes probably 10-15 minutes) and then to drop (no idea how long that takes).[/quote]

You want it to drop if you are pulsing. PWO meal is not a pulse.

[quote]BiP wrote:

[/quote]

You want the amino acid levels to peak (which takes probably 10-15 minutes) and then to drop (no idea how long that takes).[/quote]

You want it to drop if you are pulsing. PWO meal is not a pulse.[/quote]

No, but the Plazma he is having first is (in the sense of fast absorption):

So he wants the levels to drop before he has the post workout meal. The post workout meal then raises the levels again and after that they take longer to drop. So if the “peaks and valleys” theory is correct, you want to wait a bit after Plazma to get the drop, then eat.

PWO meals do not reach a true “peak” no where close to a pulse. It would make sense if it was a MAG-10 pulse or something but your typical solid food POW meal takes hours to digest, enough time for levels to drop.

PWO meals do not reach a true “peak” no where close to a pulse. It would make sense if it was a MAG-10 pulse or something but your typical solid food POW meal takes hours to digest, enough time for levels to drop. [/quote]

Which still doesn’t change the fact that I was talking about the peak due to Plazma and then drop BEFORE the solid meal :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Ok, I think I see what you mean: that the levels wouldn’t rise fast enough for the interference with the drop to be a concern?

I guess the question then would be how long would it take for the levels to START rising due to a solid food meal. If it’s a fairly short time, it could interfere with a drop - you’d get a peak from Plazma and then (lower) elevation from solid food. If it’s not, you’d get a proper drop in between the two.